Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dave

Canvas Craft NorpacR2 Shelter Performance

18 posts in this topic

This ice season we were sheltered by a Canvas Craft NorpacR2 Double-Flip and man, what a great comfy season this turned out to be! grin

p2156453.jpg

The extra room from a double-flip plus the comfort from the NorpacR2 insulated canvas performed beyond my expectations. I heard a lot about its benefits and, I have to say, the claims are true. If we weren't going in and out often, most times, a double mantle gas lantern hanging in the center of the house was our heat source. The kids enjoyed the extra room and warmth while having fun with some friendly competition, too.

p2150164.jpg

On sunny calm days, the black exterior really did soak up the sun rays well. On windy days, we would get the same "free heat" bonus by setting up our Canvas Craft shelter with one door facing away from the wind and try to utilize just that one door, even though we had the door on the opposite end available, too. The frame system, zippers, stitching and craftsmanship have held up just fine this season. And, it was nice fishing in a shelter with no moisture build-up dripping inside.

p2150138.jpg

You can find out about Canvas Craft "end of the season" shelter sales here

Canvas Craft Shelters

or call 763-428-4325

I totally agree Dave. I have the double flip over and have also fish out of the Lodge sized one. It is the cats meow for a ice shelter.

I bought one in January. For once no zipper issues. AWESOME product. It's hands down the most comfortable portable I've used. Even on those -25 degree days the canvas stays flexible. And I will never have to use the heater above low. I figure it will pay for itself in 2-3 years.(propane use, or should I say lack of propane use)

........ AWESOME product. It's hands down the most comfortable portable I've used. Even on those -25 degree days the canvas stays flexible. And I will never have to use the heater above low. I figure it will pay for itself in 2-3 years.(propane use, or should I say lack of propane use)

same as above and ,My dads got the 8x8 suitcase style with Norpac and its great. Very warm and doesnt take alot to light it up at nite either.

Just purchased a magnum flip over in Norpac, its awesome, and they are on sale

I just picked up a new 8x8 northlander suitcase style today. I probably will not use it until next season. Do you think the Big Buddy heater will be enough to heat it? I am hoping I can put a cot inside to sleep on, just hopeing it stays warm enough inside. I will be anxious to use it. It seems to be very well built!

I had a 6x8 Northlander. The non-insulated one. If it was really cold and windy it was hard to keep toasty with one sunflower heater. I think they put out 18,000 btu about the same as a big buddy. Otherwise it provided plenty of heat down to about zero when it wasn't too windy. Great house just got too heavy for this old guy.

I have the insulated Norpac so that will help keep it warmer. The wind will probally be a issue as well insulated or not , there is only one way to find out.

And I also found out is a heavy thing to move by myself, I am going to put some extra handles on it tommorow so that It will be easier to load it in my truck. You think your 6x8 was heavy try a 8x8!

I have the 8x8 with norpac and have no problem heating with the big buddy heater it stays on low most of the time medium on a cold day, by cold I mean below 0, if I take my jacket and bibs off. Big buddy on high is way to much but good if you like sauna's

It is heavy because of the floor but I am verry happy with it.

Croixflats, How many holes did you cut in the floor and what type of hole covers did you use? I thought about useing catch covers but after visiting their web site the weight said 5 pounds each which is going to add more weight. Wondering how and where to place the holes, what size to cut, round or square,should the plywood covers be hinged ect. Any input would be greatly appriciated.

What type of frame do these shacks use? The flimsy conduit tubing or something stronger?

Croixflats, How many holes did you cut in the floor and what type of hole covers did you use? I thought about useing catch covers but after visiting their web site the weight said 5 pounds each which is going to add more weight. Wondering how and where to place the holes, what size to cut, round or square,should the plywood covers be hinged ect. Any input would be greatly appriciated.
I'm sorry I didnt get back to you earlier.

I went with a 11inch hole with the edge of the holes 4 inches from the 1x4. Right know I have holes in the corners. Later I'm thinking of cutting another hole in the middle towards the back hole.

I have not done this yet but I'm going to put hinges on the cut outs and put them back in place acting as covers. Also putting barrel pins opposite of hinges. I found out when pulling the house, sitting on an otter sled ratchet strapped down, behind a wheeler snow and slush ends up on the house and the covers will prevent snow getting in through the holes. Hope I'm not to late for ya.

What type of frame do these shacks use? The flimsy conduit tubing or something stronger?
The conduit. Does not come across flimsy with this set up but I have not had experienced the other type to compare

Aluminum framework may be flimsy but, Canvas Craft uses galvanized steel for its framework; nothing flimsy about its design.

Not a problem Croix,

I have a catch cover slush bucket, I measured the outside diameter of the flange ( 11 3/4" ) my auger is a 10" so that would be plenty big. Also I like your idea of a hinge with a barrel pin, that way no extra weight is added using a larger size cover.

I think I will cut six holes right away, just need to fihure out what to do if I am fishing alone and the other 4 holes are not being used. I am wondering if the slight crack between the cover and floor would let much of a draft in the house?

Thanks for your help this weekend I will hold my auger in the center of the hole remembering to leave a 4" space between the 1x4 and the outside of the hole.

Gotem, the conduit is plenty strong and I have never heard a Canvas Craft Northlander owner say different

Even with out the covers in my house I don't get much of a draft so with the covers you wont get any draft.

I did find when it is really cold it is best to bank some snow or ice shavings outside next to the holes you are using. Sometimes the wind coming underneath will skim over the hole. It also helps with any draft issues. Dont need much snow to bank just enough so air does not sneak under. You'll get the little tricks as you go. Your gonna love the shanty have fun and plenty of time left this year.