• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

question about a rod/reel combo

Tyler23

ive been looking around and st.croix looks like they have some nice rods. i mostly fish for walleye, northerns, and seldom some bass. any suggestions? like length and what not. ive been fishing my whole life but im new to buying my own stuff and i dont really have a good rod. i fish with my uncle alot and he has lots of rods so ive been using his for years and i figure now i can go on my own so i better get my own stuff. any comments would be great.

What size pike are you going after? Obviously you can't know for sure, but if most of them are smaller, you should be able to get by with the same rod you use for walleyes. If it was me, I would go with a 6'6" or 7' spinning Medium Fast Avid with a Shimano or Pflueger of your choice, probably spooled up with 10 lb test.

Check the other thread about being stranded on an island. Good suggestions there. Can't go wrong with a medium 7 footer for walleyes and bass. As far as northerns go, you can land the biggest of them with that rod, but rod choices should be based on what you are throwing for lures. That medium 7 footer will throw jig/minnow, lindy rigs, bobber presentations, and a wide array of crankbaits/minnow baits.

If you are into throwing large spoons, bass sized spinnerbaits, and large crankbaits for pike, you may want to invest in an additional rod when you can. I assume you are a kid, do don't think you need to get it done overnight or else you'll end up like the rest of us...hopelessly addicted to buying gear grin

well like i said i dont do much bass fishing just when i get bored. as far as the northerns go i mostly use shad raps or red tails. would a medium rod handle the northerns. we catch all different lengths ive never got anything huge but some nice ones. gotta say i love leech lake smile

It would certainly handle them. My biggest, 43", was caught on a 6 ft medium with 6 pound test and no leader, so it can be done. I was casting jigs for walleyes on a shield lake. Oops. Hate it when those big pike get in the way grin I haven't been to Leech in a long time. Heard it was making a nice comeback. I really liked that whole system and will one day return.