• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The good old cartoons

LOTWSvirgin

One of my favorites, which is never shown anymore - is the Bugs Bunny episode where is is the squaredance caller for those two hillbillies.

He has them poking each other in in the eyes, wacking each other with fence posts, and jumping into a haybaler.

"I'll save you Nell"

McGraw as "El Kabong"

HOOOOOOLD ON THERE BUBBA LOUIE!!!!!!

One of my favorite quotes that I could nail perfectly as a kid. Used to be able to do Marvin the Martian pretty good too.

I watched a program about guys like Mel Blanc many years ago. I found it fascinating how someone could have so many different voices.

He has them poking each other in in the eyes, wacking each other with fence posts, and jumping into a haybaler.

Loved that one. I also liked to watch the one where Bugs and Elmer Fudd were the opera singers.

Or the one where Bugs and Daffy were arguing "DUCK SEASON..........WABBITT SEASON" when bugs turns the table...."WABBITT SEASON"...FIRE!...........BANG.

...the one where Bugs and Elmer Fudd were the opera singers.

I especially remember that one also. The other one I remember is the "Where's my HASSENPFEFFER!!!????" episode. I still scream that out to my wife when my dinner is late. wink

I'm a 47 year old cartoon addict with a passion for history and great writing. This is an awesome thread. Where do you start? Hmmmmm......

IMH(umble)O, there are none better than the WB WWII era cartoons. Great animation. Stuff for the kiddies, stuff for the "grown-ups". The Gremlin one where the plane is falling and falling then suddenly stops. "Ehhhh, you know how it is with these A-Cards". Also, (Gremlin screaming) "IT AIN'T VENDEL VILKEY!!!!!" Sorry, those two scenes still crack me up every time. Daffy Duck as a Commando 'chuting in behind enemy lines. The bit with the phone booth...."Is that you Mert?" C'mon people, if you were alive then or watch them knowing the popular culture of the time, this was FUNNY stuff.

What they accomplished in what at the time was considered a medium meant to only reach children is unbelievable. Yes, it was propaganda. It was meant as a reminder that we were in a war, and that it was a war we did not start (the discussion that FDR starved Japan into attacking is for another forum...one I wouldn't mind seeing though). That we needed to continue to fight not only for our freedom, but for the freedom of the world (Again, continuing to fight in order to resolve the depression via the defense industry is another thread topic). They did this WITH CARTOONS!! Unbelievable.

Close 2nd: Jonny Quest. Very well written with top-of-the-line (for the day) animation. Bad guys going down with an "Eye-eeeeeeeagh". Yeah it's not too PC, but I could care less, either in '66 or today. This cartoon was the bomb in my formative years (I own the DVD's and my son loves them too. It brings a tear to my eye). Remember, back in the 60's JQ's opening credits had a voice-over describing each of the five main characters (gotta include Bandit). The V-O was not carried over in the DVD's.

Even closer Third: Bullwinkle. Like the WWII WB's (without the exquisite animation), something for everyone. The absolutely fabulous tongue-in-cheek dialogue. The post WWII and early cold war imagery (Fearless Leader as a Nazi-like character and Boris Badenov classically cold-war Russian. The boat race on "Veronica Lake", CLASSIC!!! Fractured Fairy Tales, DDR, etc. All good.

Underdog (great theme song)

Roger Ramjet

Casper

The post-war WB stuff through the 60's

The hits just keep coming.

Sorry about the length, but this is a passion with me and has been since I was a kid. (No, I do not live in my Mom's basement. And yes, I do have a job. I would be more than happy to have Mom vouch for me and I can show you my W-2).

Another thread could be how Sid and Marty Kroftt caused the downfall of Saturday Morning Televison (don't get me going on that, I hate those pukes).

Thanks again.

Paul

[Another thread could be how Sid and Marty Kroftt caused the downfall of Saturday Morning Televison (don't get me going on that, I hate those pukes).

Thanks again.

Paul

Touche--HR Puffin-WHAT?

JQ will always be my #1 Fave too.