• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line suggestions.......

smeese

I would love to get one big spool to redo my cat fishing poles and my Musky rods....what do you guys use and why? I am leaning twoards Powerpro 65 or 80 Lbs, or Cortland 80 Lbs. Power pro is easy to find in big spools, any other suggestions, I am sick of my line binding and I am never using spider wire again. I know this is opening a can of worms so lets suggest our opinion and not argue with others opinion smile

The mono backing does a few things.

First - it will keep the braid from spinning around the spool -even if you spool it up full with braid it will slip and you'll think your drage is messed up.

Second - braid is expensive so there's not much point in spooling up a muskie reel with 300 yards of expensive line.

A few tips I've learned is to use a thinner diameter line - 10-14 LB is decent so that as you fill the spool it is a bit more "solid" so that the braid is less likely to dig in - I can't say that bigger diameter is bad but someone told me this once and its worked well so I'm going with it. Also, a cheap $9 clip-on line counter can help you figure out how much backing to put on so that you end up with a full spool. It may take a bit of math, but based on the line diameter and the backing diameter you can pretty much get figure to the yard how much backing to put on. Maybe I'm a cheap arse, but it kills me to throw away the leftover 20-30 yards of braid becuase I put too much backing on. Wow! that was more than you bargained for-- sorry, long day at work!

I ordered the Cortland Masterbraid in the 80# test.....along with some new leaders and such. Thanks for all input, this should go over much better then the spiderwire. Is there a good small know to tie the two lines together? Meaning the backing with the braided?

There are several you could use, but I use a pretty simple one called the back to back uni knot. It's an inline knot so it leaves a smaller "bump" underneath the rest of your line. Here'a link to tying it, and another link to animated knots so you can see how lots of knots are done. The blood knot or albright knot would be an alternative, but the b-t-b uni is easier.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/magazine/guides/cg2003Sp_Uniknot/

www.animatedknots.com/