• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1989 25 hp mariner

True

Mariner was the same as Merc, the same way Johnson and Evinrude were the same motors.

I've never heard of any history of problems with Mariners, and the ones I owned for many years never skipped a beat. I never had a 25 hp, had smaller and larger ones than that.

I ran a 1985 25hp Mariner on my duck boat for 15 years. And, for many years it was more than a duck boat. It was my fishing rig too. I have no idea how many hours were on it, but it was in the thousands. One year I ran almost 200 gallons of gas through it - and I am dead serious about that. Being in college and having summers off was the good life.

When I parted ways with it in 2000, it was still a great motor. The block on my motor said Yamaha. I don't if the '89s were Yamaha blocks or not. All I can say, is I wish I had not gotten rid of that motor. It was a workhorse.

In the early days of Mariner, pre 1987, they were made in Japan by the Yamaha corporation. I don't know if they were produced in 1988, but 1989 they were switched over to the Mercury production lines. Basically same as a Merc 25 but a different color and stickers.

Like said earlier, maintenance will be the judge of whether or not it is a good motor.

I have a used and abused 1987 15 hp Mariner that is still running strong. I knocked the skeg off, knocked a blade off a prop, and basically treat it like [PoorWordUsage] and the thing still keeps running. I have since replaced the prop, but it is still missing most of the skeg.

The motor is crazy fast with the replacement prop too. I can get 32 mph, yes tested with GPS, in my 14' Lund running solo with gear. With 2 people and gear it runs 25 mph on plane. With three, I can still get on plane and travel at 14-17 mph.

mariner was owned my mercury, or should I say brunswick. I have a 88 mariner 25 hp on my pontoon. I bought this motor used, and it has worked great. the only problem I have had was water getting in my gas, and plugging the main jets. this has happened two times in 11 years, and a very easy fix. just have to pull the carb, and clean it out. the motor it self is great, and trolls very nice.

I've got an 89' 45hp. Mariner.....runs like a champ. It really comes down to how well you take care of your equipment. The people I've ran into at the landings with the same motor just love it. It may not sip gas, but it sure is reliable.