Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
LOTWSvirgin

Wont stop licking his

14 posts in this topic

Ok dont ask me why it was not my choice. My gf just got my dog snipped. The vet told me not to let him lick his wound cause he will lick the stitches out. So I put a pair of shorts on him and he takes them off. So my question is is there anything I can hate to say it but rub on the area to to stop him from licking the area that is not going to harm him. I dont want to have to go buy a lamp shade thing for him

Absolutely, you should have one on him unless you are going to lay with him for two weeks and not let him move, If and when, because they will pull out there stitches you don't want to experiance what can happen, go now and get one or make one.Good luck.

He won't like it the first day and might throw a fit, might not sleep much first nite, ect, but he'll get used to it. I didn't like the idea or thought either, but after the first day, no big deal, for either of us. Much better than pulled stitches or infected wound. GET THE LAMPSHADE!! Good luck.

When my dog had stitches in his paw he somehow managed to tear off his lampshade and started eatin' the dang thing. Later that night he threw up small pieces of white plastic. That little bugger ate parts of 3 bandages, tore out two sets of stitches and one staple. That's the second time we've had vet bills after a SoDak trip last year. He's starting to make that nonresident South Dakota license look cheap.

you should call the vet back and see if they have an medicine that helps the dog avoid liking the spot.

i got my boy snipped last april or may, the vet gave me some stuff in a bottle to rub on the wound. Its basically a horrible smelly substance that help the dog stay away from the wound. its smell so horrible that a dog doesnt even like it. WARNING if you do get ahold of some of this stuff make sure you wear gloves when applying it.

A lampshade? Really? They don't stay on and yes, the dog will likely get mad at it for being around it's neck & shred it!! haha

There is a plastic cone called an Elizabeth Collar (E-Collar). The E-collar fits around the dog's neck and extends to under the jaw, then the collar you use on him/her daily fits through the loops around the neck to keep it secure (which you don't get with a lampshade). It allows him/her to eat & drink but he/she can't reach anywhere on the body to lick. Your vet should have provided one but most pet stores have them. Wal-Mart may even have them. Just be sure you measure the neck before you go looking for one....they come in many sizes.

Those lamp shade things work great you may feel bad for the guy but when you see him try to go through a door opening and not make it through, well lets say its hard not to laugh. Then you feel bad again. My poor dog locked herself in the bath room because after she went in coming out the cone caught the door before she could get out. And it is funny watching them eat and drink with it on.

They get used to it after a while but be prepared for the saddest look you will ever get from them eyes.

When my dog had stitches in his paw he somehow managed to tear off his lampshade and started eatin' the dang thing. Later that night he threw up small pieces of white plastic. That little bugger ate parts of 3 bandages, tore out two sets of stitches and one staple. That's the second time we've had vet bills after a SoDak trip last year. He's starting to make that nonresident South Dakota license look cheap.

I should add that he was on doggie downers too.

There is a plastic cone called an Elizabeth Collar (E-Collar). The E-collar fits around the dog's neck and extends to under the jaw, then the collar you use on him/her daily fits through the loops around the neck to keep it secure (which you don't get with a lampshade).

I'm not sure about the others, but that's exactly what I was referring to when I called it a lampshade. I know it's technically an e-collar, but to me an e-collar is a shock collar. I doubt anyone here is literally talking about a lampshade.

My Ver calls that the Lampshade also. My dog beat the tar out of his after he was fixed and it lasted until the last day.

Originally Posted By: iwishinifishin
There is a plastic cone called an Elizabeth Collar (E-Collar). The E-collar fits around the dog's neck and extends to under the jaw, then the collar you use on him/her daily fits through the loops around the neck to keep it secure (which you don't get with a lampshade).

I'm not sure about the others, but that's exactly what I was referring to when I called it a lampshade. I know it's technically an e-collar, but to me an e-collar is a shock collar. I doubt anyone here is literally talking about a lampshade.

Exactly, AKA conehead collar. Just funny terms I think. Either way I hope he got one by now and is healing up.

definitely the shade. my brit took an awkward tumble at 8 weeks, broke his leg and spent two months in one. They get used to it. Some stores also carry an inflatable collar that serves the same purpose.