• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2000 225 HP Optimax

Basseyes

Bought a 2000 Lund pro v 2025 with an 225 Optimax saltwater edition on it.

Very unfamiliar with bigger motors. Have done enough impellers on motors up to 40 hp. Is the 225 different other than being a lot bigger for changing an impeller?

It still pees water but am just curious on the start up time to actual peeing is sometimes almost 15-20 seconds. Not sure if that's normal or not but would like to see it start peeing sooner than that.

The motor runs and starts great the only thing I notice that seems a bit odd to me is if you push the throttle control all the way down it starts to cut out a bit and I have to back it off just a bit. Again not sure if it's normal or just a quirk with the cable adjustment?

What do most shops do for a tune up or charge? I can do plugs and the simple stuff but is there carb issues that need adjusting even if the motor seems to be running well other wise?

Have read how some guys to off set the possibility of injector pump failure run mixed oil/gas? Good or bad idea? When should an injector pump be replaced?

Also have a 9.9 kicker that doesn't have tilt and trim on it. What a pain. What's my options for getting tilt and trim on it? Is that something I can do myself to save some cash?

Appreciate any opinions and help!

It still pees water but am just curious on the start up time to actual peeing is sometimes almost 15-20 seconds. Not sure if that's normal or not but would like to see it start peeing sooner than that.

I'm 99.9% certain that your motor has a thermostat, so it won't pee till it warms up.

You talking for the kicker? this thing is a 225.....sounds like a sweet motor man! You will beat me across the lake, not sure if I can paddle my kayak that fast....but I doubt it

You can add aftermarket tilt and trim. Cabelas has them for about $500 for motors under 30 horse or so.

I had this very same motor for 4 years and really liked it, only mine was a 200 hp. Never had a problem with injectors or some of the other quirks people have experienced with them. Always started when I turned the key, always idled down for trolling, Great Motor! There was typically a pause before water indicator dischared water. Although I think they reccomend replacing the impeller every 5 yrs

Really had good results with my High 5 Prop

I purchaced the optional decals to match my boat It is a saltwater.

2653619219_4eb9b66bb2.jpg

2653616381_5f920d50e6.jpg

Congratulations on the purchase. I would check your RPM's at WOT. If the engine runs great at all other RPM's, it is possible that the rev limiter is causing the engine to cut out. There are no carb adjustments on this engine since it is a fuel injected engine. If you do decide to replace the plugs yourself, be very careful since the heads on this engine are very easy to crossthread and strip. We probably see it 3-4 times per year with an optimax. Also be sure to index the plugs on this engine so the gap is facing the injector. Finally you do not want to run premix through this engine. Hope that helps.

Just a note - the 2000 year Optis had issues, so it might be worth having it looked at by certified merc tech, if you haven't yet. I am a Merc fan, and still have efi, but I know that the 2000 200 and 225 did have issues. The smaller hps were fine.

Good luck, great rig! Have fun with it! You will grin ear to ear every time you open her up!!!! smile

Appreciate it.

Going from a 16' rebel with a 40hp tiller on it to this set up was eye opening and nerve racking all at the same time. Was very happy with the rebel just couldn't fit us all in it.

The wife wanted the bigger boat because it was the only thing we could all legally go in as a family of 7. Other than a pontoon and I didn't really think I could find a big enough trolling motor for the front of one of those.

Grew up fishing out of a canoe and have gradually upgraded over the years. Have always thought it is the person behind the rod that catches fish and still believe that. But the pure comfort of the rig has made fishing more enjoyable from a stand point of being able to move around even with 4 or 5 people and how much the boat takes the punishment on windy days. Was very reluctant to go with such a heavy rig but it's growing on me. Use to fish a lot of smaller water and now am much more comfortable being a long ways from an access with out the concern of the "what if's" on the bigger bodies of water.

It tops off at about 45 mph and I'm plenty fine with that considering how much the rig weighs. I hope to save fuel a bit by backing off to around 40mph. That's the one thing I've been very happy about coming from a four stroke honda. The fuel cost has gone up but not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to.

Basseyes, yep, the pure comfort makes fishing more enjoyable and you can stay at it longer, which increases your comfort and fish catching! Our boat is smaller than yours, I love that 2025! That would be awesome to have that much room. You one lucky dude wink

If I recall, from old Bass and Walleye Boats mag tests, I think with that size motor you will get about best mileage right around the 3300-3600 rpm range. Have it trimmed right and it won't s-uck as much gas as many think.

Have a great season with the family out in your rig! smile