• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

carry on tackle on airlines?

dobiel

Going to Mexico next week and was wondering if anyone knows if they have a problem with bringing tackle on as a carry-on. I'm checking my rods in a rod case but I'm wondering if I can bring more than just my reels on board with me or will they make a big deal about hooks, leaders, lures, and sinkers. Northwest Airlines.

Thanks

Actually, they might well not let you take your reels in your carry on, at least not with line on them. Lots of stories after 9-11 about guys having to strip line off spools at the security checkout. I don't chance it, I put my reels and tackle in my checked baggage. I cushion it well with clothes, towel, etc...and have had no issues. There was some talk of a reel or 2 dissappearing, some went so far as to run a cable lock thru the frames to make them a larger target. Again, I've had no issues in many trips. My normal small tackle/gear bag has several items I know wouldn't fly, knife, clippers, sharp things:) So I wouldn't even try. You can try calling ahead, but again, guys have done that and what they hear on the phone isn't necasarily what happens. Plus, the MX officals play by thier own rules and good luck getting the scoop in advance there. So where are you headed?

Each year I fly to my buddies place and we fish for a week...Now we must check all the fishing gear. They will not let you carry on any rods, reels or tackle...all must be checked...I always cushion mine the best I can. I also bought a soft sided tackle box...take the plastic boxes out and separate them within my luggage..then fold up the soft tackle box and store it. This year my buddy and I are thinking about carrying minimum tackle, everything that you check costs money

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm already not liking the fact that my beloved rods have to sit in baggage and I was hoping that my reels and tackle could be with me where they're safest. I guess it won't be that big of a deal checking everything and I wanted to hear the experiences people have had. Traveler, I'm headed to Mazatlan. Gonna try some surf fishing and possibly charter a small panga to do some smaller game on light tackle.

I'm heading down with two 6.5' foot spinning rods, one medium and the other a medium heavy setup with some cheaper Shimano reels, a medium 7 1/2' Teramar spinning rod with a Stradic 4000FI and a 7 1/2' heavy Teramar casting rod with a Curado 300. I'm bring a variety of size swim baits, crankbaits, grubs, some homemade fluoro leaders, some 2 oz. sinkers, and some circle hooks for live or cut bait. Any advice? This is my first time to Mazatlan. We have spent the last 3 years down in Zihua fishing offshore for sails and marlin so this will be my first time doing the inshore and surf thing.

Dobiel; my inlaws have a condo on the beach a few miles on the outskirts of mazatlan, we've been down there many times. I haven't done much/well from shore unfortunatly. The rocks out on the point past there place are a good looking spot, I think it's Punto Brujha or something close to that. It's as far as the road goes along the beach that way, maybe 3 miles out past the El Cid Marina. BTW, be SURE to hit the beach restaraunt out there "Mr Liones". One of the best restaraunts I've found there, with fantastic huge shrimp for about 10 bucks. You'll be thanking me:) Otherwise, I've seen guys fishing bait (shrimp, usually) from the at various locations over the years, but pretty slim pickins. Inshore this time of year isn't the best either...not to be a downer, but I started saltwater fishing in mazatlan and now I go to Cabo to catch fish and Mazatlan to fun and sun with the family:) Hey, maybe you'll do well and can come back and give me a good report! Love to get down to Zin one of these years...Had any epic days down there? I've seen some wild stuff in Cabo:)

dobiel,

We have people bring reels and tackle through security, in their carry on luggage, all of the time. No knives of course. Spread out your sinkers. If they are all bunched together and they can't see around them, they may call a bag check. That is no big deal.

Good luck fish'n.

tweed

tweed...are you in a small airport in Mexico? If not...Well, it doesn't much matter what you might get past security on this end, it's what they decide on any given day down there that matters. And whats the point really? Just pack em and be done with it.

Traveler, thanks for the info in the restaurant. We'll try and make it there. Zihua has been pretty good to us but nothing insane. It is probably about a 1/3 of what you'd pay in Cabo, though. First year we boated 2 nice Sails, lost a black Marlin, and lost a really nice Dorado. Second year was really rough and we only got one Sail and a sea sick girlfriend. The third year we did light tackle trolling and got a ton of large Bonito, Spanish Mackeral, a half dozen Barracuda, a really nice Pompano, a Chula, a small Dorado and a few Needlefish. Ate both the Chula and the Pompano! MMMM good! I plan on getting down to Cabo within the next few years but for now we are diggin' the less touristy places and the fishing has just been an extra bonus for us while we fun and sun away from the cold. I usually fish Muskies so I'm really just itchin' to make some casts right now being that it's mid Feb. I'll be sure to get some advice from ya before we make the flight down to Cabo.

No problem Dobiel. I should say, it's north of downtown Maz and the golden zone where i'm talking. El Cid Marina (the new marina) is several miles north, then the road continues till it dead ends at Mr Liones on the beach and the big rock point area. Cabo isn't too pricey if you do it right. LOTS of marlin at times, and a fun town. But no doubt not the laid back vibe of Zin. Have a good time in Mazatlan, it's kind of big and touristy, but reasonably priced and has great beaches. Where are you staying?

Hotel La Siesta right in front of the Malecon on Olas Altas. We wanted to be near el centro most of the time so we could drink and dine without the fuss of a cab all the time but still have the view of the water and the hussle and bussle of it all.

Yup, you're right downtown, a mile or so south of the start of the golden zone. We've always stayed out in the zone as the relatives either had timeshare or owned. Still, it's a nice area whwere you are and I'd have no problem staying down there. If you end up looking into renting a boat/panga, be aware the old marina downtown (closer to where you'll be staying) isn't the best...but I'm sure there are reliable guys to deal with, just have to sort it out a bit. Theres an area called Stone island south of town, you need to take a water taxi to get over there, but it's a cool area to hang out and i'd try a little fishing over there anyway. It'll be a bit of a taxi ride, but do take a ride out to the Punta one day, i think you'd like it out there too. have a great trip:)

Thanks Traveler. I will take note of the island and try to get over there. We really don't have any plans besides be beach bums, eat, drink, and fish a little. This trip is a bonus for us as we already did a 7 dayer down in Manzanillo in early January with some friends. I'll give you an update when we get back. Adios!

I checked my fishing poles last year in a rod carrying case on Sun Country. They lost the rods on the way home.(fortunately not on the way there.) They found them the day after we got home and delivered them to my house in a big snowstorm. They could've waited to deliver them. I wasn't planning on going fishing in a snowstorm in March.

I always put my reels and tackle in my checked luggage.

Tweedlap, do you work for the airlines?

Thanks for the input elkhuntingfan. I'm probably going to end up checking everything but I still might bring the reels as a carry-on, although there are full spools of line on all of them and I don't want to be in a situation where I'm ripping 500 yards of variety braided line off. I just don't like the idea of lost or damaged reels in checked luggage.

Anyone else with any experiences?

Before 9/11 I flew into Cancun and then drove to Boca Pailla from there. A group of 10 of us checked our flyrods and carried on our reels and fly boxes. Post 9/11 I have not gone on the trip with them, but they now check all of their gear. It scares them every time, but they have yet to lose anything. I flew to Grand Cayman in October for our honeymoon and packed a 10 and 8 wt. in my checked along with reels and fly box, it just wasn't worth it to have to mess around with them at the the security line. IMO, what gets out of this country in the air is going to be different coming back in from a small foreign airport. I have a hardbottom G-Loomis bag with built in rod tubes so I'm not worried about my rods getting damaged. I then wrap my reels in clothes and make sure they are in the middle of the bag. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Well here is the short version of the trip. NWA lost my rod case on the way down. It was accidentally sent to Detroit. They found it and sent it down the Mazatlan and it was promptly delivered to my hotel on Monday afternoon. I bottom fished from a superpanga. Caught a ton of different species of fish. We absolutely hammered them the second the first line was dropped in the water. I only shored fished once and it was bunk because there wasn't anywhere decent to fish from shore near our hotel. And the topper of the trip is that NWA lost the rods again on the way back and I'm praying that they'll be found.

Summary of the trip is that Mazatlan is a very cool city. Shimano rods and reels did very well in saltwater. Northwest Airlines really sucks with oversized baggage.