• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Permit to Purchase/ConcealCarry

Permit to purchase and permit to carry are two different things. Also, in MN we have a permit to carry. Concealment is a choice.

For my permit to purchase, I think I went to the local sheriff but can't remember for sure.

For a permit to carry, you'll need to get enrolled in a local training program to get certified and then you can buy the permit to carry. I believe that's how it works.

Bob

Permit to purchase : if in metro , your local police chief

if rural your local Sheriff.

Permit to carry : Check local gun-shop for class info , take class and back to Law enforcement office to get permit

Cost for carry permit about $100 for class and about $100 for permit

Ok -- since Otsego doesn't have a police unit, I have to go to the Wright County sheriff in Buffalo? Or can I just go into Elk River (Sherburne County)? Can only the government office for the county/city I live in get me the permit to purchase?

Thanks in advance

You deal with the law enforcement agency that covers your house. If Otsego contracts with the Sheriff you deal with them for both the purchase permit and the carry permit. I don't know which county Otsego is in but that's who you deal with.

If you live in Wright county, then you go to the Sherif there. They have the forms for you to fill out.

As is stated above, they are different. A puchase permit is free. You apply and wait 7-10 days to get your permit in the mail. A purchase permit is good for 1 year from the date it is issued.

With the carry permit, you take the class first. Then you go to the Sherif. And then the 7-10 days. Once you get your carry permit, it also acts as a purchase permit. Unlike a perchase, with a carry you have the permit for 5 years, therefor can buy for 5 years. They do run you between $100-$125, so with the cost of the class it is right around $200 just to get to the point of purchase.

The 7-10 days is just a guidline. If you clear the backround quickly, you may get it sooner. I used to get my purchase permit renuals in about 4-5 days. My carry permit was actualy mailed the day I applied.