Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kayak for a fat guy?

4 posts in this topic

I'm a rather large guy (6'2", 310lbs.) and was hoping to get into a kayak, if possible. I fish a lot of smaller lakes from shore but it would be a lot of fun to get into a yak and get to some unreachable spots.

Is this even possible or am I going to be limited to a canoe? I'd rather not do the canoe thing but I will if I have to. There's just something more appealing about a yak than a canoe.

Any suggestions?

I picked up one of these last year.

Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

Length 12' 9" / 3.9 m

Width 29.5" / 74.9 cm

Seat Width 34" / 86.4 cm

Weight 69 lbs / 31.3 kg

Max Capacity 550-600 lbs /

Very stable, wider than most. Good rig for fishing. We have a regular Prowler too and the Big Game is much more stable.

It is also very comfortable to fish out of for hours at a time. I really like fishing small rivers with it.

Another kayak to look at is the Old Town Predator 14.

I can't remember the stats for it, but I'm 6'7", almost 400 lbs, and it works for me. It has the same hull as the Old Town Loon tandem kayak.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• This might be one of the reasons. 
    • Are the majority of United States citizens too dumb to vote?  A great mantle of responsibility has been placed upon us.  Are we capable?    I shudder every time I contemplate this.     
    • Ended up with one bird on public ground western meeker County Friday afternoon. Saturday the pooch put up 6 birds for us in the morning in swift co with hardly a breeze and all I could do was tickle 1 bird, not very proud of that.  This morning the wind was howling which made the birds jumpy but managed a couple.  We pounded a lot of gravel and didn't see much at all, but then again lots of corn still in.
    • I had military mickeys for years... and years but about 2 years ago I bought Baffin's. AWESOME boots. Sooooooo comfy, warm and decently light. I own Muck's and they are great for more "active" fishing as my feet get cold in them if I just sit one the ice all day. That said, you CAN walk all day in mucks. The comment about Baffin's being large and unable to get pants over...very true! But a great boot none the less.
    • maybe Eve got it!?!?
    • No......but "brexit" was polling within the 4 percent margin of error before the vote . Cant imagine any one of those 272 in the 8 percent  and above range flipping.  Suppose anything is possible, couldn't ever imagine Trump being considered a serious candidate either. 
    • These the same reputable folks that said Brexit was going to lose by a significant margin?
    • So, you are voting Trump?  Or are you going for Gary Johnson?
    • According to the most reputable poll trackers, with a couple weeks to go looks like Hilldawg already has 272 solid votes....... with Trump only at 127. The swing states currently within a 4 ish percent margin of error are Florida, Ohio, North Carolina, Iowa, Nevada, Arizona, Georgia, and Texas. Weird saying Texas and Georgia are swing states and got believe will go to Trump. For fun am also going to give him Arizona, Iowa, and Ohio.......leaving him 216......and 322 for our next first lady.  
  • Our Sponsors