• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Buying Bait or other gear online?

JewellOutdoors

I try to buy local, but have dealt with the big mail order/now online firms for years. Also some of the newer strictly online merchants. I buy some saltwater tackle so I can't get that locally, and i gotta say, I love the no questions (or raised eyebrows, whatever) return policies of most online retailers. Haven't tried bait online, but I don't use much live bait lately. If I did, I'd probably give it a try.

I used an certain online auction to buy lures that are not being made anymore and thus off the market. Also its a great way to purchase bundles of lures at a 1/3 or less of the normal price.

Certain online auctions are also a great place to sell old, unwanted and rarely used lures from your own tackle box.

I had to get my euros from vados online when I lived up in ely. It always worked out great for me. Im not really sure if im game for leeches and crawlers in the mail though. They are kinda fragile with tempuratures.

I buy 80% of my tackle online, mostly stuff I can't get local, bait I get at the local shop. I buy leeches by the pound ( $18 a pounds cheaper than $3 a dozen) I'm not a crawler fan so maybe only buy a few dozen a year. Ice bait I also buy local in bulk since I go through it fast.

Last year I was in Ely and someone recommended a bait & tackle shop as a "must see". I was in awe the second I walked in the door. However; in talking with the owner of the place, he explained to me how he prices his stuff.

He said that there is a Minimum Advertised Price (MAP) that all retailers must abide by (unless it's a clearance or sale item). So, he said that even though he advertises & sells online & does a lot of business online, that speaking with someone directly is the only way he can negotiate. He can't advertise that he is willing to negotiate prices but is more than happy to if someone asks.

Since he competes directly with some of the big box retail outfits, he said he has to be careful with the MAP - the other retailers watch him & have turned him in to manufacturers.

So...my point is that if you really want to save money, call to ask if they are willing to cut a deal - this especially works at privately owned tackle shops but not each & every time.