• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Heard a rumor that they never turned the aerator on this year and all the fish were dead. Does anyone know if this is true or have been out there this winter? My bro was there in earlier this winter and no aerator but managed some fish.

I am unsure of the aerator situation, but with all the heavy snow we had early on it made access to the lake really difficult and I am sure that had a bad effect on the o2 levels in the lake.

hopefully it didnt winter kill but I personally havent fished so I am not sure. they are some nice pike in there and a ton of little pearch

I have been on cochrane (ten miles north) once before and once after the warm spell. Both times there was very little snow on the lake but maybe because of the tall grass surrounding fish lake it held more snow? Last year the aerator was running and we pulled some dandy perch out of this little lake.

they did put the areator in about a month ago but it might have been a little too late. was there a few days after they put it in and never graphed a fish or had a bite. i can't confirm it winter killed though but the o2 level was very low when they put it in.

I know the end of January there wasn't an aerator going and it was all snow covered. I don't think they could get the aerator out there because the snow in the south landing was like 4 feet deep.

The GFP manages this lake for perch and northerns because they can survive the best in low O2 levels.

I hope it doesn't get hurt to bad there were some nice perch in there. But it could use some thinning out of carp.

The lake is dead guys. I can personally and 100% confirm that. I was over there about a week ago and there were MANY fish dead under the ice. I could not tell what kinds, but they were of all shapes and sizes. The ice was pretty thick, so I could not exactly see what species. I have a friend who walked on the ice inside the "Thin Ice" signs and confirmed hundreds of dead perch. The aerator was certainly going, leaving a large open hole, but word around here is that it was a little too late. Too bad. A lot of locals are also mad because it was turned on too late. Not sure how a ball as big as that could be dropped.

Who would a guy call or write to get some answers on why the aerator was'nt put in on time. What a waste. There is very few lakes with decent size fish in them around here, I guess now there is one less. I am sure the people of South Dakota are glad their tax dollars are being used to aerate a dead lake.

I don't believe the state of SD has anything to do with the aerator. It's the Duel county sportman's club. I also wonder why they didn't put it in January?

The state will restock this year. The northerns were getting to be good size too. Everyone the last couple years were complaining about all the people fishing the lake, so it was probably a good thing alot of fish were caught out of there the last two years now.

I'm sure a few fish will make it. The smaller perch can do better in low O2.

Hmm ... thought i heard the GFP managed it. Well if it was locals I guess they are the ones that will be hurt the most by the lake dieing off. How long would it take for a pike to grow to 10 lbs, 10 years? And perch to be "eaters"?

I would say a couple years and the perch will be good size again. Last couple years they were 10 to 14 inches long with smaller ones.

There are very few lakes in SD that have aerators, but most of the lakes in Duel do have aerators going. The GFP will restock the lake this spring and summer.