• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat blind for a bigger boat?

I have a 16' Lund Explorer with a 90" beam and I'd like to get a boat blind for it. I heard Skybuster blinds from St. Peter are good. Does anyone have other blinds to recommend?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Huey

Ps Ice fishing is almost over. Could we go straight back to hunting?

We have a Northern Flight blind, and for the price it is very sturdy and easy to use, and looks great when up, and folds down to almost nothing (sort of).

Key thing I like about Northern Flight over Avery is that the NF can be put on and taken off the boat in just a couple minutes, with NO holes drilled in boat, or no screws or bolts attaching it. It has hand tighten clamps that slip over the gunwale and you just tighten them down.

You cut the frame to size to fit your boat. I am not sure if a 90" beam would work, as ours is just an old Alumacraft Classic 16 that is much narrower than 90.

Good luck with whatever you get and post pics when you get it on smile

i made my own just like skybuster. mine cost maybe $200 with everything including grass. i priced one from skybuster and it was around $700. if you got some basic tools and a understanding on how to make one like skybuster i would say go that route. you can buy all the parts threw skybuster. i welded everything on mine but he has clamps to clamp everything together. if you would like pictures of how i did mine just let me know.

The skybuster blind looks good. I like all the natural grass/cattails.

How do the fold up? Any problem with them when you're going down the road at highway speeds? I have 45 min drive to the lake each morning.

The skybuster blind looks good. I like all the natural grass/cattails.

How do the fold up? Any problem with them when you're going down the road at highway speeds? I have 45 min drive to the lake each morning.

this is how it lays flat. I however really dont see the need to lay it down during transport. I just leave it up unless its really windy out...

P9180382.jpg

Actually, I just looked and I don't think the Northern Flight blind will work. It's too narrow and I don't think the clamps would work with my wider gunnels. Thanks, anyways.

The beavertail blind looks like it migh be too narrow also.

Right now the blinds I'm considering are the Skybuster and a Gooseview Duck Island. The skybuster uses natural grass and the gooseview uses camo cloth, looks like you can add cattails, etc.

Do you think it makes a big difference (cloth vs natural grass camo) to the ducks?

Thanks again for the info and the pics. It's appreciated. I've never hunted from a boat with a blind.

i like the natural grass wayyy better. blends in so good. i got the avery grass on mine and i love it. as far as picking up decoys if you have another person and makes it alot easier cuz they can just hang off the front and grab them as you go by. if your by urself i would just suggest getting a avery sliding push pole with a hook on the end, works really good. i would never get anything besides a skybuster style blind. ive done it by myself before and its not bad you just gotta drive right up to them which isnt hard.

The Skybuster looks great! My question is how does it work to put out and pick up decoys in areas that are too deep to wade. It doesn't look like there is easy access over the sides to do that. Thanks for your response![/quote

picking up decoys can be tough, but I have all tangle free weights and line so we just drive around the spread and pick up a bunch at a time and wrap them later... the front doors swing open and the back opens also...

P9270007.jpg

PA300012-1.jpg

I have a 18' Lund Alaskan with the Beavertail blind. I had the exact same concerns as you. I called them and sent them a cut sheet direct from Lund. My blind fits perfectly. It sets up FAST. It blocks the wind & rain. If you close up the top and fire up a Big Buddy heater it is very cozy when it is 15 degrees and a ducky northwest wind is howling.

My boat is the wetalnd camo and when I pull into the weeds (remember 18' Lund) I have had other hunters pull up and not know I was there.

This is the second Beavertail I have owned. I had one on my WS16 Lund which also is very wide. I ahve hunted out of several others and in my opinion there is nothing close.

I also have to say Beavertail Boat Blinds are second to none. I own one and will never own anything else. Can honestly say i hate not hunting from my boat. No drilling, easy transport, easy set up, and no stumbling over rickety designs.