• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable heating question

Franchise

Question

So I've upgraded to a 2 man portable ice shelter, and now I'm debating on heating units.

2 of my friends use sunflower heaters, one of which has burned his shelter twice, and I also plan on bringing my son out come next year, and I know sunflower heaters + enclosed space + kids = troouble.

I've decided to go with either a Buddy Heater or a Big Buddy, but with a 2 man shelter, does it make a big difference between the 2?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

15 answers to this question

I've been using the Big Buddy in my Otter Lodge and its worked great. I haven't had any of the issues others on the site have with it staying lit. I use an 11# tank with the quick-connect regulated hose.

I've been using the Big Buddy in my Otter Lodge and its worked great. I haven't had any of the issues others on the site have with it staying lit. I use an 11# tank with the quick-connect regulated hose.

Yeah, I have read some negative feedback regarding that problem. The nice thing though is, even if you have to manually start it, its still seems a better option size wise and a safer alternative to a sunflower.

i have the buddy heater and a 3 man portable and i have never ever been cold with it on... the majority of the time, i only keep it on low because it will get too hot...

i think you guys would be surprised the amount of heat a buddy heater kicks out.. especially when you are in a small portable (2-3 man)...

i have the buddy heater and a 3 man portable and i have never ever been cold with it on... the majority of the time, i only keep it on low because it will get too hot...

i think you guys would be surprised the amount of heat a buddy heater kicks out.. especially when you are in a small portable (2-3 man)...

Well idk how cold it is when you fish,I used the little buddy in the yukon one day when it was -5,no way had to pack it up and go home. Now I got the big buddy and man I'm glad I got it. Was out fishing in the porty one day when it was REALLY cold last month,if I remember right -20,and I was sittin in a long sleeve!

I use both the big buddy and the regular buddy. I had the buddy first.I use it with my fish trap scout.It worked great in the scout, and my smaller two man the eskimo travler. I then bought the fish trap voyager, a dig two man or three man portable. I had to up grade to the big buddy to keep the voyager warm for mom and the kids. These heaters are both very safe. I have never burnt a hole in any of my portables with them. I can't say that with the sunflower heaters. As others have said before get the big buddy and trun it down when it get to hot.

I have both, and Otter Cabin. The small one is good enough to heat it to waterever you need, for the most part.

The main thing I would say, if you pull shack with sled or atv, or just always use the car/truck to get out there, then get the big one with the gas line and filter with 20# tank.

But if you are going to pull by hand, the small one.

I also think the small one starts better, I like the pilot and ignitor separately and think it works better to start. But I like them both.

Originally Posted By: jwmiller33

Well idk how cold it is when you fish,I used the little buddy in the yukon one day when it was -5,no way had to pack it up and go home. Now I got the big buddy and man I'm glad I got it. Was out fishing in the porty one day when it was REALLY cold last month,if I remember right -20,and I was sittin in a long sleeve!

i have fished in very cold conditions this winter... went to mille lacs over Xmas break and it was 30 below with windchill during a whiteout storm and we had my little buddy heater heating our 3 man portable and it worked just fine... maybe my little buddy heater is just the sh*t. i have fished probably over 10 times this winter in below zero temps and have never been cold when i had the buddy heater on

I have them both, got great deals on them on CList so I couldnt resist getting each of them. If you shop around right now you can buy new ones for very good prices! For the extra couple bucks I would get the big one, personally I like to be warm and take my jacket off!!!!