Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
benhoffman

Which rod kit to buy?

11 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy a spinning rod building kit from cabelas and not sure which one to go with. I'm looking at spending around 100$ on a medium light 6'6" 1 piece rod. Anyone out there have any advice? Thanks

I personally don't have any idea what cabelas's rod blanks are like.

I would also check out Midwest Rod & reel to see what type blanks they have for what you are building. Give them a call as they can explain what might be the best blank to use. They are reasonable in their pricing also.

I have built alot on cabelas blanks with no problems. Basically there are a large number of companys selling blanks but only a few that manufactuer them...

I forget the model number but they have a mid/low range 6'6" ML 2 piece that makes a great all around rod.

Kits are ok and a nice little package idea but your going to get alot more out of calling a place like Midwest like Harvey mentioned. Or asking on here smile

Is this your first build? My first was a cabelas kit and it was nice to have everything in one haul. But that was also way back when the internet was a baby and info was hard to come by, Plus I had nowhere local to look into what I needed...

I 2nd calling someone like Midwest Rod and Reel. They can help you put together the component list to create a rod that will exactly suit what you want to do with the rod. I have always spent the time going over the components and trying to figure out exactly what I wanted for guides, handles, seats etc so the rod fit what I wanted to do with it.

Or start asking questions and someone here will surely try to help.

But.........just out of curiosity, can you get what he wants for $100 at a place like Midwest?

I appreciate your advice. I have built one rod a couple years ago I bought a st croix fly rod kit from cabelas. I like the idea of coming up with all the components individually, but that's a little intimidating for me. I'm not familiar with this midwest rod and reel, where are they located?

I am sure that depends on what he wants. If someone wants a tip top of the line blank, just about anywhere that is gonna be over $100 by itself. And I can only guess that the Cabela's kit is not a St. Croix SCV or a RainShadow RX8.

Worst case scenario after talking to Midwest Rod and Reel or any other rod building component vendor for that matter, he can always say no if it goes over his budget. Or better yet say you have a budget at the onset. Check out the link in my signature, they are a site sponsor and their contact info will be there.

One would be able to keep in the $100 range for sure.

And to add to what DC seid, Midwest carrys Batson blanks.

They just might be the same blanks that the other store carrys with a diffrent name on them wink

I just purchased a 6'6" kit from Midwest a couple of weeks ago. Price was well under $100, They are excellent people to deal with. Was able to pick out what type of handles, guides, reel seat and thread have ordered the kits from Cabela's before and don't have those choices.

Two years ago, I built a St. Croix Premier 6' 6" two piece med action rod for my Nephew for around $120.

You could get close to the $100.00 is you purchased a pre formed handle.

If I remember correctly, that's what Cabela's uses in their kits.(pre-formed handle).

St Croix has kits for each of their rods from the entry level rods to the tournement lineup. You can buy just the blank or the kit comes with guides, handle cork and reel seat.

I have not used a Cabelas blank but I have to believe that they are comparable to everything else in the pricerange.

Note from admin, please read forum policy before posting again, Thank you.