• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Filling your own 1 lb Tanks

GrumpyOldCrappie

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I stocked the darn things about 20 times when I worked at Fleet Farm, we'd go through a pallet a week. I'd say on average, 1 of every 4 pallets had one that was leaking or already empty. We'd be in the stock room and get that rotten eggs smell. I'd sold many of the fill adapters also, and never heard of any complaints.

I have been re-filling mine for years and have never had a problem (leaker). I would like to hear of someone who has actually had a newer-in great condition re-filled 1lb'r leak-not hear say. Like I said in an earlier post, the only 1lb'r I had leak was a new one.

I had a buddy refill a dozen for me last year. There was always the smell of propane in the garage. That is until I removed the box of newly refilled 1 lb'ers. Never again for me. Besides, the empties make great targets for the AR. grin

GotOne -

As I stated earlier in this thread, I had one leak - badly - in elk camp. This was the first time it was refilled. We had just refilled about a half dozen of them. About 30 seconds after we filled the last one, it started to hiss loudly out the pressure relief valve. One of the guys grabbed it and tossed it out in the meadow. It was empty in a couple of minutes.

After that, I have no interest in refilling them except in elk camp when space is at a premium. After we fill them, they all stay outside away from the tent until they are ready to be used.

For those looking to recycle the empties - any waste transfer station should take them.

The green key ones don't seem all that much more expensive than regular ones. I've been using a depresserizing tool for years made by Ruger. Remington and Winchester also make them. The inserts used by these tools cost about a buck,twenty per box of fifty. Very easy to use.