• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Filling your own 1 lb Tanks

GrumpyOldCrappie

We refill them in elk camp because then there is less bulk to pack in when space is at a premium.

Other than that, I buy new and recycle the empties at a transfer station.

We had one refill job in elk camp that had the pressure relief valve fail. The gas emptied rapidly, but luckily it was outside. That was enough for me ....I thought about what that would have been like had it failed inside a portable with a propane lantern going.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stopped refilling them after a leaking one caught on fire at deer camp about 20 years ago. Someone smarter than me threw a wet towel on it and got it out of the cabin.

I figured the chances of making the Darwin Awards list were to great if I refilled any more.

I'm with redbandit. I had heard of tanks bursting from refilling. I bought a Black and Decker 28 led troublelight. for inside my portable. If it's colder then 10 degrees, I have an attachment to add propane lantern to the #10 pancake tank, along with a hose for the heater.

propane is a liquid and its boiling point is somewhere around -35 to -40. it is the gas from this boiling that burns, not the liquid. to fill a 1 lb bottle with 1 lb of liquid, you must turn the 20lb cylinder upside down, then open the valve. 1 lb bottles cold, and 20 lb cylinder room temp. full 20 pounders work the best, after about 1/2 the liquid is gone, the filling of the 1 pounders takes longer and it seems that they don't fill as full. there is a need for common sense when doing this, if you think that it is too dangerous, or you might get arrested, don't do it..................tom fellegy

Of course its illegal for fly by nights to refill liquid probane....DUH!

Not to mention its really stupid to transport or use them in an enclosed area.

Cheap is cheap I guess!...lol

You put gas in your car dont you? Or do you pay someone else to do that? Have you seen the kid that refills the 20lbs at the station? He can barley walk and chew gum and he manages.

If you dont want to refill them dont. Keep the guys that make the tanks in business, they need jobs too. I will be refilling mine myself so dont follow me too close down the road or you will ignite my trail of leaking propane!

I have been re-filling mine for years and have never had a problem (leaker). I would like to hear of someone who has actually had a newer-in great condition re-filled 1lb'r leak-not hear say. Like I said in an earlier post, the only 1lb'r I had leak was a new one.

Of course its illegal for fly by nights to refill liquid probane....DUH!

Not to mention its really stupid to transport or use them in an enclosed area.

Cheap is cheap I guess!...lol

I rarely agree with Pier, but for a $2.60 tank, I think refilling them seems like an awful waste of time. You're not saving any money anyway, are you??? Who paid for the propane in the bigger tank??

I just wish they would setup some kind of return process for the 1 pounders so they can be reprocessed by the manufacture like they use to do with pop bottles, and not thrown in land fills or in the weeds a long the road somewhere! frown

Well GotOne,

15 to 20 years ago at deer camp we stayed in a cabin with no power or running water. We had just finished eating and had some lake water heating up on a camp stove to wash dishes. There was also a lit propane lantern on the counter a few feet from the stove.

There were 2 or 3 one lbers that had been refilled on the counter to use when the ones on the stove or lantern went dry.

We settled in around the fireplace drinkin beer and tellin lies when someone noticed more light coming from the kitchen area. There was a flickering flame, that looked huge at the time, but was probably only 3 to 4 inches high coming out of the top of 1 of the tanks. The first guy to react dunked a dish towel in the water, threw it on the tank and carried it to the door and pitched it outside. Nobody heard any pop or other noise when it lit, there was just more light behind us.

We had been filling tanks for a few years and never filled them more than twice.

I just wish they would setup some kind of return process for the 1 pounders so they can be reprocessed by the manufacture like they use to do with pop bottles, and not thrown in land fills or in the weeds a long the road somewhere! frown

Right on! They definately need better recycling for the 1 pounders.

I'll report back on how many we pick up off the ice at Rush lake clean up on March 7th.

That's one! Didn't have any idea they were made 15 to 20 years ago. Wonder if it's the same re-fill adapter or tank design? Like I said, I had a new one leak, it can happen. I also had a 20lbr in the back seat of my truck going up to deer camp this year. The warm temp in my truck caused the gas to expand and a fair amount of gas released, scared the he&& out of me-I will never do that again! I'll bet someone has something to say about keeping the tanks inside both my truck and cabin! Glad to hear, no one got hurt. This argument could go on forever, those who do and those who don't.