• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Filling your own 1 lb Tanks

GrumpyOldCrappie

I just bought an adapter from Fleet that allows you to fill up one lb cylinders. You simply connect to a 20 pounder

and start filling. It only fills about 1/3 full because there are pressure valves inside to keep from over filling so to get it fuller, you simply let out some air out the top for 10-15 seconds and try it again.

It usually takes 3 times of doing this to get it 80% full or so.

The adapter cost about $20 but it won't take long to pay for itself with one pounders costing over $3.00 now.

Just thought I would pass this tip onto my fellow fishing commrads...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i heard that you only want the larger cylinder to be colder.

I got one of these and I put the 1 pounders out side to chill or the freezer if its summer. I warm up the 20 pounder inside.

Couple things.

1. you should flip the 20 pounder upside down and then fill the 1 pounder. the gas seems to get into the 1 pound tank better this way.

2. seems like after you refill the 1 pounders about 3-4 times the rubber seal on the tanks begin to fail and you should throw them away. If you get a tank that leaks I leave them hooked up to what ever I'm using them on until there empty or put them out side.

3. Last but not least, Its against the law to transport refilled 1 pound tanks in MN. I beleave this is because of the possiblility of them leaking. Either way its against the law to transport them.

I put the 1 pounders in the freezer and the bigger tank your filling off of in the warm house for awhile. The difference in temperature greatly helps fill the 1 pounders. Also..having a "more full" than "empty" bigger tanks helps also.

Yeah I heard that too. I keep the 1 pounders outside and bring the 20 pounder inside to warm up for a couple hours. Then go outside to fill them.

They still only get less than half full. But, I just let some air out for a few seconds and go again. Been working good this way.

As mentioned...good idea is to tip the big tank upside down when opening the valve to fill the little tanks...I forgot to mention that in my previous post.

As far as against the law to transport...I guess its good to get that out there and make it known...people can then decide for themselve whether they choose to break the law or not.

As far as against the law to transport...I guess its good to get that out there and make it known...people can then decide for themselve whether they choose to break the law or not.

Did I mention that I only use my refilled 1 pounders to run my lantern at home during a power outage???? gringringrin

Big tank warm. Little tank cold. Big tank upside down to fill little tank. You can also refill the big tank with small tanks although I have never tried it. I also never knew it was illegal either. But in the "free stuff" There's a couple guys that are giving away empty bottles. Just passing it along.

I'm pretty sure it is only illegal to transport them commercially, across state lines, or in a registered aircraft. This is federal D.O.T. regulations.

Unfortunately I believe it is illegal to re-fill them. MN state statute doesn't cover this area specifically, but The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) does. MN, like the majority of states has adopted the NFPA's Liquified Petroleum Gas Code as their own regulations. The NFPA states the following:

N.F.P.A.58

6.5.1- Liquid propane shall be transferred into containers, including containers mounted on vehicles, only outdoors or in structures specially designed for that purpose according to code

7.2.2.1 -Transfer of L.P.-Gas to and from a container shall be accomplished only by qualified individuals trained in proper handling and operating procedures meeting the requirements of section 4.4 and in emergency response procedures

7.2.2.7- Containers shall be filled only after determination that they comply with the design, fabrication, inspection, marking, and requalification provisions of this code

7.2.2.8-“Single trip,” “non-refillable,” or “disposable” cylinders shall not be refilled with L.P.-Gas

I don't pretend to be an expert in this subject. This was based on information from a professional source I have that deals with enforcement of NFPA regulations....FYI, he did say that he has never heard of criminal action taken against someone for re-filling tanks. The biggest liability would probably be civil if it went kaboom in someone else's face.

Personally I dont care if its illegal or not, Im going to keep refilling them myself. It is soooo much cheaper to refill them vs buying new ones! I have always refilled them and so has my father, never had a problem. Some may leak a little right away but you just screw them back on the fitting a couple times and they will quit. If you want to throw your money away on new tanks go ahead, but I will stick to my way!

I think its kind of funny how we are quick to ignore the rules, laws and regulations when its suits your individual needs. Yet read through a post about a gross over limit or poaching and there is a trial by fire and borderline public lynching?

It only fills about 1/3 full because there are pressure valves inside to keep from over filling so to get it fuller, you simply let out some air out the top for 10-15 seconds and try it again.

I'm pretty sure there is not "pressure valves" inside to keep from overfilling. Likely what is happening is the pressures are equalizing between the big and small tanks. When you "let some air out" you are actually venting propane not air! Propane expands from a liquid to a gas at 270 to 1. So one full 1 pound cylinder would be the same as 270 one pounders with just vapor in them. Take a look at the space you fill/store them in and imagine 270 of them in that space. Thats a lot of gas if one should happen to leak!