• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiring outboard to ignition and other questions

Lost

Question

Okay, I'm completely lost here. I've got no guide to go with except that maybe the cable colors should match as best as possible.

Second question is testing the outboard. How would I test it to see if it works? I know I need to get a tank and filter and all that other fun stuff. But I'm lost as far as hooking it all up. Anybody know of an excellent, picture/description HSOforum I can look at?

7 answers to this question

If you want to start and outboars with no harness, just plug in battery cables, then use a thick electrical wire and touch large red positive on solenoid with small yellow or yellow/red on same solenoid.
This bypasses all circuits, but be careful of 2 VERY IMPORTANT things:

1- Motor will start or at least turn over, so keep tools/hands/etc. out of the way.
2- You won't be able to shut it off quickly, best way is to pull choke and/or a spark plug wire off.

Most ouboards are wired "on", to stop them you have to ground ignition, that's what key does.

------------------
Val Vignati

www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

Surface Tension, it's a 40hp Johnson. No clue what the year is. Remote, not tiller.

Where can I find the year? It's in the boat, not on it right now. The boat isn't quite ready to hit water. Still fixing things up.

If it has letters with model number, it's from 1980 and up.
Use last 2 characters and match with word

INTRODUCES

starting 1980 with I

I N T R O D U C E S
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Example: Model 50TLER
use last 2 letters

E 1980
R 3

Year 1983

If it has numbers only check with dealer.

------------------
Val Vignati

www.kvesurplus.com
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 09-08-2004).]