Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickelfarmer

The next step....

56 posts in this topic

Anyone else see plans for a new bill to require all gun owners to register there guns and get

$1 million insurance policy????

I just seen this on the news.

I also heard about the bill that will change the sky purple and require all homeowners to keep at least 500 pounds of pixie dust in their kitchen cabinets.

I also heard about the bill that will change the sky purple and require all homeowners to keep at least 500 pounds of pixie dust in their kitchen cabinets.

LOL funny!

Anyone else see plans for a new bill to require all gun owners to register there guns and get

$1 million insurance policy????

I just seen this on the news.

Isn't Illinois great?

We here in MN have this piece of genious to look forward to....

Minnesota gun control bill aims to close sales loophole

By BOB VON STERNBERG, Star Tribune

Last update: February 19, 2009 - 12:21 PM

Featured comment

Gun control advocates are taking another stab at changing a state law that allows people to buy handguns and assault rifles without a background check from unlicensed dealers.

A similar bill got nowhere in the legislature last year, but chief sponsor Rep. Michael Paymar,St. Paul, said he hopes tweaks in the bill's language will satisfy the measure's opponents.

"It's a good bill, a simple one designed to keep dangerous guns out of the hands of dangerous people," Paymar said.

The bill would close the so-called "gun show/Internet loophole." It would prohibit private sales of pistols or assault weapons unless the buyer or seller was a federally licensed dealer, or used a licensed dealer to transfer the weapon. That includes sales at garage and estate sales and over the Internet, which are currently exempt from background checks.

The bill is designed to block gun sales to convicted felons, people with a record of domestic abuse and those suffering from mental illness by requiring a background check that would reveal such people may not legally buy a gun, Paymar said.

Language in the bill that would have included private gun transactions between family members has been dropped from the legislation, he said.

The bill, which is to be introduced today, will be discussed at a news conference this afternoon held by Paymar, Citizens for a Safer Minnesota and the Peace Foundation of North Minneapolis.

I went back.

I joined the NRA today after about a ten year hiatus.

Pretty Much.

The bill is designed to block gun sales to convicted felons, people with a record of domestic abuse and those suffering from mental illness by requiring a background check that would reveal such people may not legally buy a gun, Paymar said.

Sounds good to me.

Originally Posted By: petepeters

Pretty Much.

Glad you can make light of it. I wish I was that way. I take my 2nd amendment rights VERY, VERY seriously.

Originally Posted By: deadeye
Originally Posted By: petepeters

Pretty Much.

Glad you can make light of it. I wish I was that way. I take my 2nd amendment rights VERY, VERY seriously.

Agreed, you can mock it all you want. But with all the new propsals I've seen in the last couple of months (no smoking in your car, Fairness doc just to name two) I wouldn't put it past then.

I may be playing the devils advocate here, but if it keeps the guns out of the hands of criminals/felons, then I'm all for it.

It won't lep. The law will keep them out of the hands of those that abide by the laws. Last I checked the ones we have to worry about don't abide by the law.

I agree to a point Shane. This drag net will catch those who used to go to the gun shows.

Then there are those who acquire their guns by theft. No law will change that.

I have an idea to help eliminate the issue, but the bleeding hearts who want to hug and rehabilitate criminals will cry foul.

I agree and I'm not against fixing the gun show loop hole. I just don't want to see regulations and bans put on guns.

Like criminals follow the law. Me and you follow the laws. So how is this going help?

Like criminals follow the law. Me and you follow the laws. So how is this going help?

That was exactly what I was getting at.

Im not mocking anything. I can honostly say that most people who are commiting the crimes are not the ones applying for a handgun permit and going to a store to buy them. Too many people legally own guns for this to happen. Besides the fact that going on with the whole bill would cost a fortune that we dont have right now. I really think we got bigger fish to fry at this time. Im pretty sure our budget is going to limit this even when some people got big ideas.

In all reality I have to say if you want something done, then call/write your elected official and tell them what you think. While getting awarness for the problem is extremely important, actually doing something about it is what counts in the end.

I myself do not own a gun nor have I ever fired one. I do fish but don't hunt, but I fully support people's right to bear arms and I am against the slow erosion of our civil liberties, slippery slope my friends!

Lets make buying and selling crack, cocaine and other drugs illegal then no one can use them and we will all be safe. Oh wait they already did that and there are drugs everywhere!

The truth is no amount of regulation is going to keep guns out of the hands of criminals, all you are doing is creating a stronger environment for guns on the black market. All these laws and regulations only punish the law abiding citizens while any criminal can go out and buy a gun on the street just about any time they want.

In all reality I have to say if you want something done, then call/write your elected official and tell them what you think. While getting awarness for the problem is extremely important, actually doing something about it is what counts in the end.

Use the contact info provided in the contact your representitives post on this forum. I did yesterday and last night. Wore my finger tips out typeing emails.

<shaking head hard enough to make my teeth rattle>

Why would anyone oppose this bill?

Background checks for gun shows & Internet sales? Seriously? People see that as an assault on their 2nd Amendment rights?

So...let me get this straight...because people can steal guns y'all oppose doing a background check on the guy who's been convincted of assaulting his wife three times...and issuing terroristic threats...I don't see the connection.

Can someone name me a perfect law?

Quote:
A gun does not a criminal make.

It does when laws are passed that make gun owners criminals, though.

Kind of like another thread discussing coded ammo. If a law like that was to pass in MN, I'd be a criminal for sure.

Bob

Guess your right on both counts.

I, and along with most other firearm owners would be in the same boat. laugh

I was under the impression that you still had to have a purchase permit to buy a handgun at a show. Is that not the case? You have to pass a backround to get a purchase permit.

I think what you are seeing here is a hole bunch of legislators thowwing "stuff" at the wall to see if it sticks.

Gun laws only hurt law abiding folks. The criminal element will still get theirs.

Background checks for gun shows & Internet sales? Seriously? People see that as an assault on their 2nd Amendment rights?

So...let me get this straight...because people can steal guns y'all oppose doing a background check on the guy who's been convincted of assaulting his wife three times...and issuing terroristic threats...I don't see the connection.

Can someone name me a perfect law?

Do you really think that someone who is a wife beater or a terrorist and wants a gun is going to abide by ANY gun law??? Come on.... The only people that are going to be affected by more gun laws are LAW ABIDING people. what happens when one of these guys brakes into your home and steels your gun and you get put in jail over it????? Because some crook broke the LAW????

<shaking my head back and forth tell my teeth rattle>Might of even had a few fall out over that one confused