• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Hunting NE Minnesota

I'm planning on coming to NE MN to deer hunt during gun season this coming fall. It'll be my first time.

I'm thinking I'll be close to or in the BWCAW. Just looking for any input.

Area devoid of deer?

Pressure in certain areas?

Etc.

Anything could help right now....

Thanks

There are some big deer in those areas, rough going but well worth the effort, There is some pressure but not alot. I hunted many years south of Ely and every year it was the same groups in the same areas. But like anything else land is disappearing fast so beware. Get a good map and look for paper co. , state , fed land to hunt, then scout many areas, dont look just for sign, look for camp places ( many people have used the same camp for years), deer stands, well traveled roads that have green growth in it, Those will tell you the areas that pook good but become busy during hunting.

I spent 11 days just north of tofte moose hunting the deer in that area seemed to be in pockets it all depended on the the age of the clear cut by the logging industry if you had a hard time walking through it and it was about 3 to 7 feet tall the deer were there most of the land in that area is national forest so they also do prescribed burns wich are also good areas when the growth comes back. My freind shot the biggest buck of his life in this area last year and hardley saw another hunter. If you go up early to scout dont let the activity in an area keep you from scouting it alot of the people you see in october will be grouse hunters bear hunting traffic and leave watchers their will hardly be a trail that a 4wheeler or truck has not been down

like the other said go up, put in time scouting (i'd reccomend doing it soon - once the snow melts the sign is there just like it was during the hunting season) and you won't have traffic to deal with.

Hunting all day is very advantageous, and definitely look for those clear-cuts.

One thing to think about is wolf pressure, sometimes they push the deer around. So don't neccesarily get discouraged if you don't see deer on any given day/week

The opening week of firearms season along the Echo Trial is kind of like "Nickel day at the State Fair". Everyone is there and you will see them all. People bring in campers, tents or vehicles to occupy a favorite site starting with the MEA school break week in mid October and leave them for deer hunting. By the closing weekend last year I came accrss 4 portable tree stands left set up in the woods and one stored in the brush.

Big bucks only here.

I don't hunt much in MI anymore due to a crappy herd. I've been going on DIY big woods hunts out of State for many years and I'm just looking for a new challenge.

Hmmmm.....I just taled to a guy on the phone the other day from Ely and he said there are only 1-2 camps in the campgrounds on Echo Trail during gun season....then a few more off in the woods on the side of the road. He said, if I hunted there, I'd have no problem finding a spot to camp. This guy even guides up there.

Who's right and who's wrong?

I was sort of thinking about staying from from Ely for this very reason actually.

If you do a search in here I had a post on "Hunting the Big Woods" there are a lot of helpful tips in there also. I hunted NE MN last year and got my butt handed to me. Seen some deer but you better be in shape when you get there. Thick woods, swamps, and hills, hills, and more hills.

Quote:
you can find places to hunt if you skip the main areas. Any place that looks good from the road will have hunters. Be preparde to do some walking

yeah but thats anywhere in Northern Minnesota during gun season. Hwy 1 is a zoo and if you drove on it today you might see more deer than cars on it from Northome to Effie. Your right Eskimo you definitely need to get off the road if you want seclusion, like in some areas miles. There are just so many more hunters than in years before deer hunting and less public land as its getting sold off slowly. So your going to encounter quite a few people, especially 1st weekend. If you plan your trip for the later 2 weekends their will be less people as most aren't diehards are just sit on the weekends, and the locals already have sat for a week or 2 already...and sitting all day gets very long day after day.