• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sturgeon Spearing - then what?

MuskieJunkie

So they do eat them, how old are some of those 50"+ fish?

They eat them.

I used to eat sturgeon when I was growing up.

The last one I harvested was 3 years ago it was a 25lb male in the slot from Rainy River.

You steak them and smoke them and they are one of the best fish smoked.

Now I won't eat them though. As I get older I have a new respect for them. I just like to catch, release, and report them nowa days.

From what I have seen the sturgeon in Lake Winnebago and the short spearing season are very well managed though.

I don't know the exact numbers but I know they watch it close.

If you enjoy eating sturgeon I think it is a good way to harvest a sturgeon. I personaly prefer the catch and release.

A lot of guys put pvc tube down the hole so they can see better.

Then they pick them up before they leave.

Now that the sturgeon are making a come back on the Rainy River, quite a few people catch sturgeon through the ice while walleye fishing.

Now that the sturgeon are making a come back on the Rainy River' date=' quite a few people catch sturgeon through the ice while walleye fishing. [/quote']

when we were up on LOW after X-mas we hooked into a 38 inches on 4lb test line what a battle and talked to a coulpe of locals that had been catching sturgeon a couple weeks earlier they caught and realeased 23 fish and some of them were 50-62 inches. now imagine that coming up the hole