• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Poor Idle / Stall with Dodge 4.7L (Dakota/Ram/Durango/Cherokee)???

I see this is a problem that a fair number of people of had and there doesn't seem to be any definitive fixes for it. Please share if you've had this problem or know of a good fix.

My 2002 Dakota with 4.7 V8 has been a good runner for me. But it's had a very intermittent problem (4 times a year?) with a low idle/stalling when I first pull up at a light/stop sign. The normal idle speed is around 600 rpm's. When this problem occurs it will drop to around 350 and can sometimes stall. Start it up again and it runs normal.

Seems like dealers don't know how to fix it and some won't even address the problem because the truck won't throw a code for it. Some potential fixes I've seen people throw out: clean throttle body and IAC, change battery, and change PCM to Jet Stage 1.

The only one that has been reported to work 100% of the time is to change the PCM to an aftermarket tune. I don't really want to do this since it's a bit of a gamble. Anyone have any info?

Thanks!

Some things they have mentioned are good ideas, first make sure you have a good battery in it, clean the throttle body, this seems to help alot of them. Ck tps voltage make sure it isnt low. Check the tranny fluid to make sure it isnt low on fluid, another thing is if the problem started after a trans service, if the tranny filter seal is leaking it will suck in air and cause this as well. It could also be a torque converter sticking on, and causing it to stall on decel. A possible egr sticking on. But I would start with the easier ones, battery, clean throttle boddy, ck trans fluid, tps voltage, ect...

I would also remove the IAC and inspect it for excessive wear. You will see it if it is there. It will also give you a chance to get it really clean as well as the passages it regulates.

If its a vacuum controled EGR valve I would also take a test drive with a vacuum gauge in line with the vacuum supply at the EGR valve. I have run into many of these that bleed off vacuum very slowly, which is not good!

Current mileage is 96,500. I do have an extended warranty to 100k, so if it's anything that takes longer than 1/2 hour I will bring it to the dealer and pay the $100 deductable. My fear is that the dealer will not fix it, since there has been no code thrown.

I'm still on the original battery. That thing has been rock solid, but it can't have too many seasons left. I will replace that first. If that doesn't help, I'll take the throttle body & IAC off and clean up the gunk that is probably there.

If it goes beyond that, I'll probably take into the dealer and see if they can help. Thanks for all of the above suggestions. Any others are welcome of course.

I will third cleaning out the throttle body, its always a good thing to do anyway.

The dodge's with that setup had a problem with torque converter shudder/lockup at low engine speeds. If the transmission fluid hasnt been changed then get that done too, and have them put the shudder eliminator additive in too. Im pretty sure dodge has it available, otherwise Lubegard makes it specifically for that problem. Just make sure that they dont do a flush at that mileage, just a filter/fluid change/additive and you will be set.

I think you guys were dead on. I bought a new battery last night, but didn't have a chance to install it. When I got home I first checked the tranny fluid level and it was very low.

I've always had the dealer do the tranny fluid changes at 35k intervals. The last one was done in the spring of 2008, but I noticed 3 weeks ago that it was low. Leaking around the pan gasket but onto the top of the skid plate so I didn't notice. I brought it back to the dealer to have it re-sealed and re-filled. The truck ran fine for a 2 weeks and then it seemed like it was before. Yesterday, the fluid level was so low it barely registered on the dip stick. Got underneath it yesterday and I didn't see any leaks around tranny, gasket seak, or anywhere. I even traced the tranny cooling lines to the bumper area. Where else could it be leaking? Could it be "burning up" somehow?

Anyway I dropped the truck off at the dealer last night to see whats up. I mentioned the two problems, shudder/stall and low tranny fluid, may be linked but they didn't seem to buy it.

Since it was so low, do you think I did any damage to the tranny? I'm not getting a warm fuzzy about all of this.

It sounds like you caught it in the knick of time. If there was still fluid on the stick then you should be ok. Not likely that it is burning up in the tranny, but it could be leaking and getting burned off on the exhaust. Kinda tough to tell, maybe they should dump some uv dye in and see where its coming out. Its rare, but I have heard of the tranny cooler leaking into the radiator. Kinda tough to find when your not looking for it. Worth checking the coolant to see what it looks like anyway. It also could be leaking into the transfer case. Pull the fill plug on the t-case and if it comes gushing out then you found the problem.

If they are giving you trouble about it then go to a different dealer or talk to another person. They should listen to everything you say and make notes.