• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how big does a pike have to be to mount it?

BehindtheHead

I think it all depends on the person and situation. To me it would have to have some kind of real cool story with it (besides being big) or else be a fish that I really don't think I'd be able to top. I personally don't plan on getting any pike mounted, but I can't say for sure.

I would love to get a pike replica made some day if I can catch a fish worthy of it. For sure it would need to be 40"+, and I would feel compelled if it topped 45"+. So far my PB is 36", so I've got some work to do.

I am considering getting a walleye replica made. But I think I would actually prefer a thick, mean looking pike replica on the wall. I see lots of walleyes done and not near enough big pike.

Any size if you get a replica, I dont think its worth killing a fish that old for the mount, unless the fish is dead already or going to die, but even then I would lean towards a replica that will last forever, I just dont like the way real mounts start to look after some years.

This is a high 40's fish I caught and released in southern Ontario that I intend to get a replica of someday. A very long and slender fish...I wish it were fatter, but the length is going to be hard to beat.

Please excuse the hold. This was "back in the day" before I knew any better.

Caught on a #7 shad rap, 6# Trilene...from a canoe. My 9 year old son took the picture. It is something that neither of us will ever forget.

To answer your question, for me the fish has to be over 45 inches, and preferably a fat one. I am spoiled in that even though 40" pike are overall rare, I have been fortunate enough to catch a number of them over the years in places like Mille Lacs, Vermilion, Devils Lake, and Quetico Provincial Park. Many are caught while musky fishing. For me, anything over 45 inches is truly rare and a real monster, but like I said, that's just me.

There was definitely a day when I would have gave alot more for a 40 incher!

37040017canadapike.jpg

Tim_Anderson, nice pike! Funny, I also have a picture of a pike that looks JUST like that. Only a 39" fish though, also caught from a canoe on a river eddy with a shad rap. It was southern Manitoba though, not Ontario.

Personally, I think a 40" plus pike is worthy of mounting, but I'd rather mount a fat 39 than a skinny 43, for instance

What ever size you want. I have a few 40s mounted and a 44 mounted, all replicas. It was more about the trip or how it was caught verses how big it is for me.

I also have a 41 mounted in a skin mount, now nothing against the skin mount guys but I like how the replicas hold up and the fish get to live.

You don't need the girth. If you have the length that's good. Artistic Anglers does not need the girth.

From the length measurement and using proportions from the photo I think they can get the girth figured out to look accurate. They also probably aim to err on the high side if anything.

I think it would be kinda cool to have the fish mounted in the table with the decoy hanging in front of it and maybe a cut off spear above it. I think it depends where the fish was caught for it to be a trophy. If it was the biggest youve ever caught its definatly mountable.

I got a 46" pike on a central MN lake last summer. Like Tim A. was saying, I also caught it while fishing for muskie. I have to be honest though, I was really disappointed at first when I saw it wasn't a muskie. But, after I measured it I felt a little better and released her on her way. With all the forage in the lake, it was pretty chunky. I will never do a skin mount for any specie of fish.

Length is not the only thing that would matter to me. If you have a 40 inch fish with a huge girth that might be more mountable that a 45 inch fish that's skinny as a rail. It would really depend on the individual fish for me. My personal best is only a 35 incher that I caught in a Southern MN lake so I have not had one yet that I even really considered mounting.

~piker

Mr. Hanson...never be disappointed with a big pike! Catching a 40+ inch musky (getting bit) is a cake-walk compared to catching a pike of the same size. They are much more rare and difficult to find and catch. I would trade a bunch of 45 inch ski's for a 45 inch pike anytime. I consider it a surprise and a real treat when I get a big piker while musky fishing. For me, it just does not happen often enough.

I have a 44 1/2 on the wall that I caught several years back and since have caught and released several 40+ inch pike and do not plan on getting anymore mounted unless it is 48"+, and this time that fish will swim away and I will have a replica. Not saying that mounting fish is a bad thing but with the realism now and days with the replicas it just makes sense to me.