Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
croixflats

Bullheads

14 posts in this topic

So what is the rule on using bullheads for bait. I have never used a bullhead for cattin and wonder if there is any law telling you where you may use bullheads or not.

Like in Minnesota it is illegal to use sunfish for bait for now.

Do you have to use bait from the waters you fish or is a bullhead considered also a bait fish.

Just looking to clear some things up.

Anything under 7" are considered a minnow and legal to use. They cannot be transported from infested waters without a permit. They can be used from infested waters only on the same body of water.

There is current legislation to relax the length to 10 or 12" I believe.

No whole or part of gamefish can be used for bait in MN.

I would love to see what hits a 12" bullhead!!!!!!!

I have no doubts that a 10lb flatty would have no problem eating a 12" bully.

After seeing a sub-3lb flatty swallow a "borderline" legal bullhead, a 12" bullie is more than likely just a snack for most bigger flatheads.

My first ever Catfish was a Channel under 1 pound that ate my 6-7" Sucker minnow.

But yeah Dtro has it right. No gamefish as bait, ever. Bullheads must be under 7".

When I first started catting I didn't know that there was rules. I used bullies that were about 10 - 11". I did catch my biggest cat that was 53 lbs ( which is why I am still here ) and some little guys that you would never think could eat one.

Gotta love them bullies! Cats gobble them right on up! It's a lot of fun to go out catching them too ... catching bullhead before catfishing is like foreplay.

It is true...Good foreplay is a must if you want to exchange a little dna with a big mudeyebouquet.gif

welcome nsnutter

Yep got to love thos 7" brown bullies! And still got all my shad put away. Hey Dark you going to come out in the boat this year? That would be a good time!

It is true...Good foreplay is a must if you want to exchange a little dna with a big mudeyebouquet.gif

welcome nsnutter

haha well put sir, well put. And thank you!

I would love to see what hits a 12" bullhead!!!!!!!

You would be surprised at what size of fish will take "something" much larger than a 12" bullhead.

Another good part of catching bullies, is I can bring along my grandkids and they think they are fishing...we have fun doing it together. smile

The 10 year old will be trying cats on his own this year, he has been chomping at the bit. 2 years ago, Dad didn't come up for vacation with them, and Grandpa wasn't real keen on taking him down to the river alone. We went other fishing, but all he talked about was going down to the river....We'll see in the spring how it goes.