Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bigslugger

Controversial Issues

32 posts in this topic

I have to write a paper for school on any controversial issue.

I have narrowed it down to some, but not sure if I will be able to gather enough educational knowledge on them. The paper has to be around 6-8 pages

Can you guys help me make the decision, It's to hard for me to do

Heres the topics Ive come up with:

To ban lead sinkers (thanks dtro)

Panfish Limits/Size restrictions on all MN lakes

Slot limits for spearing do not apply while spearing

Open MN up for Nonresidents to spear

Minimum State Walleye Length

Minnow Shortage (VHS). Allow out of state bait

or

The draining of Pelican Lake (Near Monticello, St. Michael, Buffalo)

Thanks for the help

Another good one is the movement to ban lead sinkers. That one is very controversial.

If it needs to be 6-8 pages, make sure you can get together enough information. Something like 2 lines in 2009 might be tough to find much scientific data to support either position. Same with Pelican Lake.

Somethings to consider:

Historical Data Available

Scientific Date Available

Expert Testimony Available

Fiscal implications (tax revenue, local businesses)

Remember just a bunch of peoples opinion isn't going to be convincing. just my 2cents.

If it needs to be 6-8 pages, make sure you can get together enough information. Something like 2 lines in 2009 might be tough to find much scientific data to support either position. Same with Pelican Lake.

Somethings to consider:

Historical Data Available

Scientific Date Available

Expert Testimony Available

Fiscal implications (tax revenue, local businesses)

Remember just a bunch of peoples opinion isn't going to be convincing. just my 2cents.

Yes I know that opinions won't cut it. There needs to be cold hard facts

Just a thought, but the death penalty is a good one. I know you seem to want to do a fishing or hunting one, and that is cool, but as mentioned getting facts and good history is hard for some things. I did a paper on the death penalty in high school, and in doing the research it actually changed my stance on it to this day.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Another good one is the movement to ban lead sinkers. That one is very controversial.

Now this one I would think be a little easier to pin down the controversy from fact and opinion.

Like the benefits of switching via research on toxicity and causes of lead exposure to wildlife.

And the cons what is the replacement to be for lead and the cost to switch over.

This is off the top of my head but I'm sure you and others can come up with more pros and cons

And its not a to emotional subject that can get bogged down by opinions on the emotional side.

Earn-a-buck, antler minimums (4 points to one side), crossbows during archery, food plots vs baiting, fish cribs, ...

If you really want to irritate your teacher, you could write about why we are the leading country in Education spending but run in the upper teens to lower 20's in performance. Along with the creation of the Federal Department of Education that was formed under the Carter years (1979) that has proven what exactly???? wink

Google can be a VERY POWERFUL REFERENCE TOOL!

You have great timing...seems like there is controversy at every level!!!! smile

Along with the 'lead sinker' topic could be the banning of lead ammunition for hunting. Both of those subjects could discussed somewhat together if you don't have enough data for just one of the topics to meet your minimum page requirement if you happen to have one. wink

Another controversial subject would be MarCum vs. Vexilar. There are volumes of discussion on that topic alone! rotflol.gif

j/k.

If you really want to irritate your teacher, you could write about why we are the leading country in Education spending but run in the upper teens to lower 20's in performance. Along with the creation of the Federal Department of Education that was formed under the Carter years (1979) that has proven what exactly???? wink

Google can be a VERY POWERFUL REFERENCE TOOL!

You have great timing...seems like there is controversy at every level!!!! smile

Man, that is evil, and very powerful at the same time. Me likey!!

Lead seems to probably be one of the best as far as being able to find facts/studies. Another one that has probably come and maybe past is something about wolves. I think i have done one about that some time ago. One side note: NEVER, and I say NEVER cite or use wikipedia as a source in any academic paper. You can read up on Wiki for some general info, and to get an idea of something, but find your facts elsewhere. Wikipedia is a site that anybody can go on and make up, or edit info.

Another controversial subject would be MarCum vs. Vexilar. There are volumes of discussion on that topic alone! rotflol.gif

j/k.

He did say 6-8 pages, not 100 page thesis grin

Gun control is very easy, you could get tons of information. I did a report back in school on gun control, there were so many books on the subject it made my head spin. This was before the internet became as big as it is today.

Another topic could be the 'Green Acres' tax program that is being changed and affecting conservation lands negatively.

How about the Big Bang theory? Lot's of controversy here...

How about banning lead bullets or how about constitutional amendments for the outdoors smile

I made my decision. Im doing it on Capital Punishment (Death Penalty)

Thanks for the help!

Heavy subject. Be intresting to know how your opinion changes after your research. Good luck on your paper.