• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Garage Heater

dustin85

Question

I am going to get a heater for my 2 stall garage soon. I have been looking at the Hot Dawg 45000 Btu natural gas model. Does anyone have any experience with these? good/bad? I am not totally set on getting this brand/model. What is the best place in the Mankato area to to get a heater? Thanks!

Dustin

14 answers to this question

hot dawgs have worked well for me... installed over a dozen in the 45 & 70,000btu's. haven't heard any negatives yet. I would recomend a digital/ programable "garage t-stat" you'll be happy w/ it. Check out ferguson plumbing supplies store. should be one in town.

I used to sell these in st cloud. they are nice heaters, and from what i've heard they have good customer service also. Now is the time of year they usually go on sale. Most big box store i would think would have them, check with plumbing/heating guys also.

I have a 60,000 BTU Hotdawg that has ran trouble free for 6 years now. I bought it off a HSOforum on the net way cheaper than retail store price and it was delivered right to my front door. I bought all the electrical, plumbing and venting stuff at HD. Good directions and pretty easy to install.

Jigeye

Great! Thanks for the reports. I found the HD45 for sale online for about $100 less($509 with shipping) than one place in town that sells them. I am thinking about ordering it from there. I am a little apprehensive about tapping into the gas line in my house, I think I would rather have someone who is experienced do that for me. I did call ferguson, but they would not do business with me because I do not own a business. He said they only sell wholesale.

Dustin

Dustin my dad bought his Hot Dawg from crystal co-op in lake crystal. They installed it and the gas line for him. Not sure how much it was but I know he looked around for a long time and they had the best price. That was 4 years ago so not sure how much they have went up in price since then.

I would reccomend getting someone qualified to do the gas hookup. Thats scary stuff when your not 100% confident in your skills.

You said 2 car garage, depending on the actual dimensions you might want to think about a 60,000 btu?? Are you going to only heat it when your working out there? or keep it warm all the time? The 45,000 might take awhile to get that space warm, whereas the 60,000 woudl heat up right away, that is if you arent going to keep it warm 24/7.

I kept my garage at 45deg constantly, then when i was out there working i woudl crank it up to 70, and i had the 75,000 in a 24x28 garage and in 10 minutes I was warm. A 45,000 would have taken alot longer to heat up. (If that makes sense)

I was pricing these things at Northern as they had sent an announcement of a sale. Looked good until I saw that it needed a $125 vent kit. Sort of took the glow off the unit. Looks to me that you have to spend about $600 to get something decent. What have others found?

I went with a 'Fahrenheat' 220v electric heater from Northern Tool... No gas lines to run, and no vents to deal with....

On the lowest setting it keeps my insulated 2 stall garage at 50 degrees. When I am working out there I just crank it up, it heats up my garage very quickly.

I had a 60K hot dawg in my old 3 stall garage and loved it. never a problem with it. Kept it at 45 all the time to keep the dogs warm but cranked it up when I worked in there. 15 min and it would be 60deg. I now have radiant in the new garage, can;t beat it! By the way, Ferguson will sell to the public but will not when it comes to gas heaters. They will only sell to licensed people that are qualified to hook them up.