• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SM Mag 2000 starting and running question ??

RonWBasser

I finally gave in and replaced my 15 year old eskimo with a new mag 2000.

I ran in yesterday for the first time. Mixed normal (not syn) oil at 40:1 and fresh gas. It was a little hard to start but seemed to warm up ok. However it stumbles, kind of bogs when I give it gas (throttle). Also it will eventually slow down and quit if left idling, standing straight up. It seems to run better at about 1/2 choke, no bog when hitting the gas. It will also run ok if I give it a little gas once in awhile

Anybody have any ideas? Or is this normal for a new one that has not been run much. It was warmed up good during all of this, had been running about 10 minutes at least.

I have a Jiffy Stealth STX.. mine runs the exact same as you described your Mag2000

Mine was also purchased brand new and has now probably only drilled 40 holes.. max

I was told it was because its new and just working itself in.

I always leave the choke at half. Runs great then....

I heard in the last year or two they have leaned them out quite a bit to pass emissions testing. You may want to either adjust it a bit richer or take it to strikemaster and have them richen it a bit. I just got a new lazer and it seems a bit lean but not too bad. Once I warm it for about 30 seconds and drill one hole it runs real good. I don't think your problem is from breaking in. Mine has run like it does since I got it and I've drilled at least 60 holes so far so I think it is past the break in period. I am running amsoil sabre at 80:1 so it's possible that if I had it at 40:1 it would act as lean as yours. I an not suggesting you go to 80 to 1 with the oil you have. Only with sabre. I would highly recommend sabre.

Thanks eyebjim. I do plan on running the 80:1 amsoil at some point. How long does this "break in" period need to be before switching it to amsoil 80:1 ?

I'll try it out for awhile and see if it makes any difference, but like you say the emissions deal might be the thing. I think I can richen it a little on my own. Now that I think about it my little weed trimmer does the same thing. Now I might have solved that too. I blamed the trimmer on bad gas.

I ran a couple of tanks of saber through mine at 50:1 and then went to 80:1. I've run it for 2.5 seasons now without an issue. It does need to warm up for a minute or so before drilling otherwise I have the bogging issue when drilling.

I started at 80:1 right out of the box. I plan on going to 100:1 after this gas can is empty. Even at 80:1 I get a little oil comming form the muffler so I am not too worried about breaking in at 80:1 and if you have already run at 40:1 for a while you should be god to go at 80:1

For break in it is good to idle it til good and warm and then rev partial throttle periodically with some full throttle too. Try to give it a little of all levels of throttle. Do this for about 10 minutes and then go drill some holes. I wasn't too concerned with mine I broke it in drilling holes. I had fish to catch or so I thought. I have had no problems. If you want to be extra cautious maybe run the 40:1 strikemaster oil for a tank and then go to Amsoil at 80:1. I am sure strikemaster would recommend a very coutious approach just in case. Like 24:1 (YUK!).

can someone tell me where to get this amsoil sabre. have a sm and want to make the switch. i have also read that about the emissions being tighted yp a bit. they did say its on the '07 and newer models. mine is from '05 and will idle all day long if i let it. how ever i am getting that goo out the exhaust that leaks all over everything is that just unburnt oil/fuel ? saw it also on the 2009 infisherman mag cover. the sm lazer mag is spewing the same goo out . not to worried just looking at long term and performance switching to amsiol.

Since I started this I figured I would post an update. The second time out with the mag2000 seemed to go better. It seemed to stay running better and not as boggy. Sure cuts a fast hole compared to my old eskimo.

I also noticed last night that FF didn't have the saber oil in the Brainerd store.

Ron I had the same problem with my SM 2000. I took to the guys at SM. They told me that the crab is to lean for EPA reasons. They brought it in the back and replaced card and made adjustments, and it know runs like a champ. This was all covered under warranty. The boys at SM service are second to none.

Thanks riverside. I will be right by them on Mar 6th. I'll take it along that day and stop in and let them have a look.

It isn't as bad now as the first day I ran it. That first day it was giving me fits. It would shut right off after drilling a hole when it returned to an idle. The more I've have run it, and we're still not talking about very much, it is working better.

Thanks for the help on this to everyone who responded.

Big A,

I got a buddy that just bought the 3 hp stx, it ran the same as yours right away too. I have the 3 hp stealth, bought it 5 or 6 years ago, that also did the same thing.

What i did to mine is played with the adjusters on the carb until i got her runnin like a champ.

Did it with buds and that also now runs like a champ.

My Mag 2000 does the same bogging, won't idle thing.......can somebody tell me/us how to adjust the carb. to eliminate this problem?

Is yours fairly new?

I might still try to adjust mine myself, I haven't even looked at it yet. You richen it up, but there is a method to it that I read somewhere on exactly how to do it. If I can find it I will post it.

I just got a SM last year too - It ran really pour - bogging doen ect, brought it back and it go a little better still not great - I brought it back again this year and now does it cut! Holy cow - It does need to warm up a little, but it should not bog down when you hit it after it is warmed up.