Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassNspear

Where would you go on a Trip!

49 posts in this topic

As you all know, myself and Central go to Cass lake every year on a spearing trip.

We are looking to maybe change it up next year!

Wondering where you all recommand going!

Thanks for the information!

sounds like alaska would be the place to go and heck pocket change to you 2 guys. smirkgrinwhistle with the kind of sucess you guys have up there why change. I WANNA GO, smirkcrazy experiment with different lakes in the area.

i dont go to cass lake, i spear on Andrusia, which is off of cass lake. Its the only lake you can spear on around cass lake thats not closed or has a slot limit on it!

Fort Peck, Montana. Next year

If you are willing to make the drive, Fort Peck is a fantastic fishery. H(e)ll Creek Marina has 4 wheelers ( a must) and cabins for rent. Yo are allowed 6 lines per person w/ your spear counting as a line.

thats crazy that they let you do that.

Is there alot of people in the area that spear?

I think you can spear more than northerns too. I think I read that you can stick walleyes and lake trout in Montana.

Winni, leech, LOW,and there are a few in the fergas area that are really good some home work needs to be done

What about Rainy Lk? That's a beautiful area and there are some big pike up there.

Next year, I'd like to spend a few days on Leech and try some lakes near Park Rapids.

Yea check out the national fish decoy [PoorWordUsage].(under the fish tales link,) web site and there is a story from some guys that go there every year its pretty cool they have to dodge methane pockets in the lake pretty cool story

We use to spend a fair amount of time at Kabetogama usually provided good action with the possiblity of huge pike, we always stayed at Kec's Kove but there area couple resorts up there that cater to the spearing crowed.

Biggest fish I EVER saw in a spearing hole was on Tom Cod Bay, have no idea what it was but one word described it, GIGANTIC! I was only about 13 years old when I saw that but it has been welded in my memory ever since. I speared a 40" pike on Lake of the Woods and that was not even close to what I saw on Kab.

Mike

WOW i just looked up how much plane tickets to Alaska are, ya i dont think i will be going there for awile.

750 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!! wow

i would love to go to a state that consiters pike a invasive species.

Has anyone ever speared on Big Wolf lake right next to andrusia. I have caught some nice northerns on the lake in the summer. Is spearing even allowed on the lake?

Originally Posted By: Bass N Spear
thats crazy that they let you do that.

Is there alot of people in the area that spear?

I think you can spear more than northerns too. I think I read that you can stick walleyes and lake trout in Montana.

You can't spear lake trout, but you can spear pike, walleye, sauger, burbot, and non-game fish. Spearing isn't nearly as popular in MT as in MN, with most people harvesting with tip-ups. A trip to H(e)ll Creek would definitely extend your spearing season after the MN spearing season closes. March is a real good time to go to H(e)ll Creek. You are allowed 6 lines per person and you need not be in immediate control if they are used as setlines and marked with your fishing liscense number and/or name and phone number. I have a lot of friends and family around that area that spend a lot of time on Fort Peck in the winter, they catch some real nice fish. It is kind of a long drive for you guys though. Just my $.02.

WOW i just looked up how much plane tickets to Alaska are, ya i dont think i will be going there for awile.

If you ever decide to come up here, watch the ticket prices in the fall. Every year Alaska Airlines runs PFD specials. For example, we will be flying to MT to visit in May, and we bought our tickets and scheduled our flights in October during the PFD specials. We got three round trip tickets for $590.00.

There are outfitters up here that offer darkhouse spearing packages, or if you did some research you could get a air taxi to drop you off someplace.

Quote:

You can't spear lake trout, but you can spear pike, walleye, sauger, burbot, and non-game fish. Spearing isn't nearly as popular in MT as in MN, with most people harvesting with tip-ups. A trip to H(e)ll Creek would definitely extend your spearing season after the MN spearing season closes. March is a real good time to go to H(e)ll Creek. You are allowed 6 lines per person and you need not be in immediate control if they are used as setlines and marked with your fishing liscense number and/or name and phone number. I have a lot of friends and family around that area that spend a lot of time on Fort Peck in the winter, they catch some real nice fish. It is kind of a long drive for you guys though. Just my $.02.

Cool, who wants to go?

Originally Posted By: BehindtheHead

If you ever decide to come up here, watch the ticket prices in the fall. Every year Alaska Airlines runs PFD specials. For example, we will be flying to MT to visit in May, and we bought our tickets and scheduled our flights in October during the PFD specials. We got three round trip tickets for $590.00.

There are outfitters up here that offer darkhouse spearing packages, or if you did some research you could get a air taxi to drop you off someplace.

What's "PFD"?

I was in alaska a couple years ago in july and it was the Best!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were between Anchorage and Keni the whole time. No bugs, 70's for highs and 50's for lows.

Great fishing for the Kings on the river and was within 30 yards a few times from the grizzlies!

It was a trip of a lifetime!

Darkhousefisher... I envy you!!

Permanent Fund Dividend. The "free" money you get for living here.

Dang dude,

In the lower 48 they make us pay taxes for living here.