• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recap on the 2008-2009 Season

bassNspear

The season is drawing to a close for the 2008-2009 spearing season. What was it that made it such a great season? The way I look at it, we have had the time to enjoy ourselves out on the lakes watching fish in the aquarium. Not only this, but able to get a lot of new folks out on the lake to enjoy the history of the sport. Show each other the way they set their stuff up, and communicate with one another to make us all better fisherman!

The get together were a great success again this year. It was great to have new comers come to both of them. It was fun to be able to take friends out that have never been out spearing before to really realize the history of the sport.

On the first get together, we ended up having it at Maple Lake. The response that we gathered from this event was out of control. People were getting more and more excited about the sport and it just made it even more eventful for the 2nd get together.

For the second get together we were on Long Lake in Mound. It was great to hang out with a great friend of mine that has never speared before; Deitz Dettrich. Not only that, we were able to have a great time figuring out how they were going to be able to get my Ice Saw out of the lake after having it stick to the bottom. All the food that we had was awesome, and the jokes that were told were even better. As Glenny would say, Deitz is a great Dancer!

In my opinion, the best part about the spearing this year and the forum was to be able to hang out with everyone that enjoys spearing. It was great to meet all the new guys, and as always, the guys that are always there; Glenny, Merkman, Elwood. I have learned a lot from these guys as well as maybe showen them a thing or two. smile

Spearing is a great sport to go and hang out with a few friends on the lake. As for this season, I have learned a lot, and hopefully people on the boards have learned a lot from others as well. I’m happy to say this forum has grown so much in the past 2 years, and look forward to having it keep growing.

As I put my spearing equipment away for the season, I have great thoughts from this season, and look forward to hanging out with everyone again next year. It was a lot of fun, and I hope that everyone enjoyed the get together’s, and all the B.S. that us spearing brothers have on the ice!

i was just wondering how your season went?

i started late, a fue weeks in and spearing was slow for me untill january. i poked one in december.

on new years eve one of my buddys told me they were getting a fue on a lake near mankato. i moved out there the evening of the first saw one small pike that night. the next morning i sat down at about 8. i poked a 43", 23# fihs at 9 15, my second fish of the year? biggest fish of my life.

i speared out there most of january untill the bug thaw. got some nice pike and a fue sunfish.

december was a challenge, it seemed like as soon as i would get on a good spot it would get dirty or carp were running. me and 2 of my buddys cut 17 holes in 10 days. ya sore arms.

my last day to spear was yesterday (tuesday) i saw 2 small pike a monster bullhead (figures considering im fishing on the bullhead capitol of the world), and a 30-35 pound musky.

thats the first musky i have ever saw and that was cool.

and if you haven't seen one, dont worry you wont have a problem telling the difference.

i had a good season, fun, i got to take my girlfriend out spearing for her first times, and she loves it!

theres nothing better than sitting in the house with a friend or a rookie and seeing the fish, theres simply nothing better than seeing a 12" pike and them saying "wow thats a huge one". thats a comment straight from the gf's mouth her first time out this year.

lets hear how everybody else did.

the lake i saw the musky on was the lake that people keep seeing muskys on but cant figure out where they would have came from....................hmmmmmm i wonder

yes i poked the 43" it went to the taxadirmist the day i got her.

everybody keeps telling me they have never hurd of a fish that big speared or caught on a lake around here.

do you know who angled the 23# pike, did you see it in the outdoor news? was he wearing a john deere cap and a carhartt coat?

i just ask because storys can get twisted.

a guy from waterville told me that a guy from waterville speared a 33# pike on washington the same day i got mine. he was wondering if i knew who got it. i had to burst his bubble and tell him it was mine and it just grew as the story was passed.

do you know who angled the 23# pike, did you see it in the outdoor news? was he wearing a john deere cap and a carhartt coat?

i just ask because storys can get twisted.

a guy from waterville told me that a guy from waterville speared a 33# pike on washington the same day i got mine. he was wondering if i knew who got it. i had to burst his bubble and tell him it was mine and it just grew as the story was passed.

Here is the thread

Washinton Pike

heres my story/recap and i am stickin to it. headed north to the cabin. -17 below at bedtime. woke to a warm -6 below. set up seen lotz of fish, anything from lb to 6 lbs. some HUGE bass, oops shouldnt of said that, couple crazy bass people might see this, crazylaugh and some sunfish. took a few went to fish crappies at 3;30. really small. sat seen lotz more nords limited out and caught 3 bass. no sunfish. would not believe i would ever see this but theres less ice, like about a foot less, that around home. easy gettin around lake once you got away from shore. had a good time.