• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The mighty Palomar has fallen

DTro

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the other day I was hiding from the winter in the house day dreaming about tossing lines in the river when I think I might have had an idea. Have any of you pros ever tried some type of bridal rigging for catfishing like they do for saltwater trolling? I don't think you'd want to use the eye canal of course that would be a little hazardous for your baits health, but maybe some other way. I thought my live bait may be a little more live with a piece of mono through its back instead of a #10 4x strenth spear, and it would leave the gap wide open for hook set. just wondering if anyone has tried anything like this and how it went

ah, there you go, don't cut off the circulation she might pass out. well if it works don't let me know, we'll delete this thread and it'll be our new secret weapon... all 835 of of ours anyway. speaking of vs. did you see Larry Dahlburg the other day catching rough fish right in our own backyard stream? I think thats vs. or is that outdoor

Field and Stream's John Merwin had an article on knot strength this month. The 6-turn San Diego jam knot was judged strongest, followed by the Palomar.

I thought catfishin' was for all the unedgumacated country bumpkins...now it's getting all technical confused

I had the same thoughts as you Jeff, ^^^ not too sure on how that knot is as strong as it is, but heck, I'm not going to debate it! Seemed to tie easy enough on that 20 lb mono, so I would assume it is going to be a breeze on our pp this year bud!

Should I tie a Palomar for my two swivel knots as well as the hook knot when using braid?

Yes, Palomar for all three, but make sure you tie the swivel to the hook section first, then tie the top part of the swivel to the main line.

If you do it the other way, you'll find out why it won't work smile

Yes, Palomar for all three, but make sure you tie the swivel to the hook section first, then tie the top part of the swivel to the main line.

If you do it the other way, you'll find out why it won't work smile

Actually the Palomar can be tied for all three knots without any regard to which one goes first.....you will just have to pull the hook through the loop if you tie the leader side of the swivel last....just trust me on that one. Works fine unless you are tying a short leader...less than a foot and it gets a little hairy with a big 9/0 hook.

I have been using the "Shack" double-uni for some time now and I will tell ya, the line will fail way before the knot ever will grin

I use it right on down the line, bing, bing and bing wink

I think I showed Dtro and Brain A last year grin I came up with it years ago fishing with Fireline, after the knot failed. Very simple, with an added Shackbash twist grin

I would love to throw this in the test someday!

Come on now, it'd be fun and give you something important to do wink I really would be interested to see if they hold up to advertised tests because lots of times its nice to use the smallest sized swivel you can get away with. Don't think just catfish - I know thats tough, but...

Could save some money too, do you really need the 200lb swivel if 80lb line is breaking at 50lbs? But like the '80'lb line, what does an 80lb swivel actually do fer ya?