• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

The mighty Palomar has fallen

DTro

Some folks tested all knots in a head to head tourney and the finals came to the Palomar and what some call the super uni knot. The clear winner was what some call the super uni knot.

I haven't had any issues with a Palomar, but I'm always open to try something new.

Isn't really much different than a uni knot with an extra loop.

Something new to try I guess.

super-uni-knot.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Palamar not as my primary for almost all hook and line fishing. That being said....

I have been using the "fishin fool knot" for years as my primary bowfishing knot. Only I knew it as "that GD pain in the rear bowfishing knot". I have never had it fail, and once it is seated it is seated. But it is hard to tie, and I wouldnt want to do it with thin braid, at least not w/o gloves on.

I don't honestly remember having a knot failure using the Palomar with braided line. That is not to say it hasn't happened, but I don't recall one specifically. I'm pretty sure that I had the knot work it's way through the hook eye gap though. That's another issue though.

I'll give this new one a try to see if it yields the same amount of waste, and also to see how easy it ties in the dark.

I still use the unimproved cinch for most of my mono knots. Never had too many issues.

I have been using the Palomar long enough that I don't think I can be taught a new trick.

I did have a knot failure yesterday with the Palomar on 15/4 Powerpro braided. Broke off a jig and there was still the business portion of the knot on the end of the line.

I was thinking that it looks pretty easy too.

I know subjects like this are a bit trivial, but the way I look at it is that the Palomar must have knocked off another knot at one time or another. Now, maybe it’s something new, call it evolution if you will. Plus it’s a nice gap filler discussion between now and April smile.

For the life of me I cannot get the Improved Clinch knot to work with braid, that knot works well for mono, but at least for me I can’t get the darn thing to snug up with braid, it just wants to slip.

For the life of me I cannot get the Improved Clinch knot to work with braid, that knot works well for mono, but at least for me I can’t get the darn thing to snug up with braid, it just wants to slip.

Your right/ it will slip If you don't lube it up when you tie with a little saliva. I run the tag through end twice..... if that makes sense.

I can't recall a failure yet. Though I only use one of those with braid in my rigs. Mainline to swivel.

So tomorrow if I have some time I'll try testing these knots for myself. I'll do 2 of each with PP and 2 of each with Suffix. I have access to a calibrated 100lb digital force gauge.

I'll post my results.