Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott K

Jiffy auger stalls?

18 posts in this topic

A friend of mines Jiffy auger model 30, starts and stalls. It will only stay running if you prime it every 10 seconds, then it runs great. Does this thing have some sort of a vac fuel pump, or is it just gravity feed, and has some dirt in the carb? I told him I would take a look at it for him, so I figured I would get some tips first.

Mine did the same thing. First I would start by getting rid of the gas and then put in gas mixed with amsoil saber at 80:1. If not available mix strikemaste synthetic oil at 40:1 but I highly recommend the amsoil sabre. Next screw the air screw in noting the number of turns before it stops then return it to its previous position. This can dislodge gumed up residue in the screw. If it still not running right adjust the screw out 1/4 turn and retry if it gets worse turn it back to where it was and go 1/4 turn in (I forget if it is a air screw or fuel screw) whichever way makes it start to run better go that way until it runs without the primer. If none of this works you you will likely need to remove the carb and clean it out. I only had to do the air screw adjustment and switched to amsoil and it runs, idles great and drils holes a whole lot better. Oh I would recommend only using nonoxygenated gas that you can get at some gas stations. The 10% ethanol garbage turns to some kind of gelatin and plugs carbs up after sitting a while. Use gas stabilizer for storage or run the tank dry til it quits.

I will take it apart this afternoon sometime, and clean and inspect it. Thanks guys.

By the way, very nice eye!!!

Disassembling and cleaning the carb is a good idea but putting the old diaphram back in probably won't fix your problem. As long as you have it apart anyway you should just put a new carb kit in and then you know what you have. Make sure you mix up a fresh batch of gas and oil paying close attention to the mix ratio. Probably time for a new plug as well.

Jigeye

I am assuming it is something in the carb. This auger is 1 year old, and has cut maybe 30 holes max. The auger runs great, it just will not draw its own fuel, you need to prime it to give it its supply of gas there.

This may be extreme, but i had that problem with mine, had to prime and prime, so i took it in, they said it was carbourator, so they replaced that, and that helped with running, but when i put it on the ice it stalled again. After having it in 2 or 3 mroe times i sent it back to jiffy and then concluded that there was a defect in the chamber, something that lowered compression.

They fixed it, paid freight for the powerhead both ways and now it runs like a champ. I didnt notice it much at first but after one season i fought with it for another season and a half before sending it to them. From the time i dropped it at UPS until it was back on my doorstep was 3 days.

Just happed to mine also, but mine is 15 years old. I think there was some type of air lock in the diaphram, I took of the 4 little hex screws pulled the diaphram inspected it and it looked fine. Put it back together 2 weeks ago and it has been fine ever since.

"Some things are better left unknown"

PK

Man-O-Man How many posts have there been about Jiffy augers not running or staying running this year?? frown My buddy has one and he will beat drilling a hole compaired to my old Strike Master, if he can get it or keep it running!! eek

My Jiffy 30 does the same thing too!!!!! I bought a carb rebuild kit and did that first, making sure to clean it all with carb cleaner. That did not work, so I took it to a place in forest lake for a pro to fix it. He put a new carb kit it and cleaned everything just like I did. He put the choke on full pulled the rope twice and ran like a champ!! Untill I got to the lake and tried to drill holes with it, ran like [PoorWordUsage] still. I have to push the primer button to keep it running, or run on full chock for a minute, then half choke. I prob switch chock back and forth three or four times to drill one hole. Please let us know if you figure it out. And we do not need any comments about buying a different auger please. thanks

Ok, I just went out and drained the gas out, wow, that stuff was dark brown, either very old, or to much oil, probably both! ANyway I took the carb off, and took it apart and cleaned it. I didnt see anything gummed up, but with small ports like them, I cleaned them anyway. There were 2 things I noticed, one being the rubber diaphram had a small kink in it, I dont have a new one now, so there wasnt anything I could do about that. The other thing was, to me it looked as though the diaphram was on upside down, so I flipped it upside down, and reassembled it,filled it up with gas, and started it runs good in the garage, I will try to get out on the ice tonight and cut some holes with it to see how it works. If I get out and try it, I will report back how it worked. Hopefully thats all it was!

funny, my 2 hp model 70 Jiffy bogged down on me on every hole I drilled on Mille Lacs. I took it in right away, I am hoping that the diaphram is the problem. My auger is 10 years old, I just ran seafoam through it and fresh gas 3 weeks ago and it was working better than it ever had. Of course what else but auger problems can plague a guy on his first trip to Mille Lacs in 3 winters. Oh yeah, breaking the rod tip on my Jason Mitchell Meat Stick

Your just to tough on your stuff picks! You might want to step up to bigger size stuff wink

Hey, I had the extension on (first time too) and actaully liked the extra length, I found it more comfortable to drill the hole without stooping so much..........Of course when you are normal sized like me, having the option to not use a kiddy sized auger is a good deal

I didnt get out to try this out last night, I will be giving it back to my friend and he can try it out on his own, I will let you know if its fixed.

My Jiffy 30 does the same thing too!!!!! I bought a carb rebuild kit and did that first, making sure to clean it all with carb cleaner. That did not work, so I took it to a place in forest lake for a pro to fix it. He put a new carb kit it and cleaned everything just like I did. He put the choke on full pulled the rope twice and ran like a champ!! Untill I got to the lake and tried to drill holes with it, ran like [PoorWordUsage] still. I have to push the primer button to keep it running, or run on full chock for a minute, then half choke. I prob switch chock back and forth three or four times to drill one hole. Please let us know if you figure it out. And we do not need any comments about buying a different auger please. thanks

sounds like the same issue i had. Compression. Thats exactly what happened with mine. Ran like a champ until the blade hit the ice, then lost power.

i have 3hp jiffy stealth. bought it idk 4 or 5 years ago, the thing ran like junk right out of the box. i driled maybe 5 holes and got sick of it so i started playng with the carb adjusting screws. i had to take off the red caps on them and adjust them quite a bit,do not know exact amount, wasnt keeping track, ever since then it runs like a champ!

my buddy also just bought a 3hp stx and it did the same thing, so we played with those two adjusting screws, and it too now runs like A champ!

I dont think Jiffy (well really it would be tecumseh) sets up their motors before sending them out. I had much more wrong with my 3HP STX than the adjustment screws, but after all was fixed it ran like a champ.

Im assuming jiffy buys the motors and slaps on the handles, gearing and auger and boxes them up, leaving the engine manufacturer responsible for the engine. I got two owners manuals with mine, one from Jiffy, and one from tecumseh.