• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ban on Kids ATV

Black_Bay

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard that on the radio this morning and I about puked. What a bunch of bull hockey. I bet the used market just shot through the roof. I was looking to get my son an atv in the next year so I'm pretty bummed out. I guess one can just hope that common sense prevails.

last weekend i drove by a house with 2 mini atv's and i noticed on both, the brake levers were chewed off and the batteries were laying on the ground with the terminals chewed off. unbelieveable.

I think I drove by the same house! What in the world is with kids these days! Maybe more fiber needed in the diet???

this was passed last year to go into effect this year. I am surprised that there was really no media behind it then, unitl now when it had already gone into effect.

there are several petitions going around to stop this, and I know they had a good turn out showing at the Indianopolis dealer show last week to get some signatures.

If its ok with with site admin, I know of several online links you can sign to get this ban lifted on motor sport vehicles

whats even worse is i think most of the manufactures past the lead in the paint test, but it is whats in the motors that is getting them banned

what a great way for the government to try and ruin a great family sport/activity

i know a couple series that I race in by no means are going to let this keep kids from racing in the 50cc class this year

I beleive the way the law is written it is illegal to sell them second hand as well. The guy who owns Honda House was on the radio last week and said he can not even sell parts for them, let alone admit to having any in the building.

It's just stupid. Second hand stores like the salvation army and goodwill can't sell second hand kids clothes if they have zippers in them "might contain lead". WTH was clobashar thinking????

IMO if your kid is dumb enough to lick a motor, chew a brake line, or suck on a battery terminal, they deserve to get lead poisoning. I know if my kid did any of those things I would be hard pressed to feel to bad about it.

Here is one article I have seen posted on several sites:

URGENT: Call to Action from MX Sports

Dear Industry Leaders, Racers, Fans and Enthusiasts,

Yesterday, a law went into effect prohibiting the sale of minicycles to children under the age of 13 as a result of the lead content in the machines (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, Title I, Section 101). This law, which arguably applies to both motorcycles and ATVs, treats any children's product that contains more lead than the limit established by law as a banned hazardous substance.

We have already begun to experience the devastating consequences of this new legislation upon our sport, as OEMs have already pulled these machines from their showroom floors. Youth racing is the foundation of our sport. That is when most of you fell in love with motorcycles in the first place, only to grow up to bring your own kids back to the racetracks. Only now, they can't ride.

On behalf of MX Sports (Loretta Lynn's), Racer Productions (GNCC), and ATVPG (ATV Amateur Nationals), we are extremely concerned with the short- and long-range effects of this new legislation, as the first rounds in all of our various series are less than two weeks away, and all include classes for youth racers under the age of 13. But it's not just our events - WORCS, NMA, Mini Os, SETRA, etc., are all adversely impacted.

It is our opinion that the new law is inapplicable to off-highway motorsports, as neither motorcycles nor ATVs have the potential for ingestion, and lead from motorcycles is not likely to be absorbed into the bloodstream or present a health hazard. Let's face it - when was the last time someone swallowed a motorcycle? Any other interpretation would be silly. Be that as it may, the law will continue to adversely affect our industry unless and until an exemption is granted.

Presently, there is a petition for an immediate temporary exemption pending before the Consumer Product Safety Commission ("CPSC") filed by the Motorcycle Industry Council (MIC) on behalf of the OEMs, distributors, and industry associations. This petition, if granted, would enable our industry to move forward this racing season while the applicability of the law to the off-highway industry is determined.

What can you do?

A form letter for submission to the CPSC in support of the petition for exemption is attached as prepared by the MIC. The letter will also be available this weekend at the Indy tradeshow. Simply print out one copy for each person in your family and submit it ASAP. In the meantime, AMA is preparing a letter for submission by its membership to the CPSC. Be on the lookout for that one as well.

Also, an electronic form letter has been prepared by State Representative Tom Self of Missouri. Please go his HSOforum at www.tomself.com. Just fill in your name and address and hit "Submit" to register your support. Please submit this letter on behalf of every member of your family - regardless of age.

What else can you do?

Contact your congressmen and senators; let them know that this legislation will have the unintended consequences of crippling an entire industry. Surely, it could not have been the spirit or intent of the new law to apply to motorcycles or bicycles (which apparently have lead in the brake cables).

Time is of the essence. The very future of our sport and of our industry depends on this. We must support the pending petition before the commencement of the national racing season.

Please give this matter your immediate attention, and forward this letter to EVERY PERSON available ASAP.

Thank you,

It looks as though this law had unattended consequences. I firmly believe this will be remedied, but this does not say don't call your congressperson. The more citizens calling in the faster it will be remedied.

I did and Senator klobuchar is doing what needs to be done to get this matter remedied (my words not theirs).

{{{WTH was clobashar thinking????}}}

Neighbor_Guy: I dont think Klobachar did this, she is trying to fix it.

It was her bill. She authored it. That is why she is trying to fix it. In the rush to get a feel good bill out, she lampooned a lot of people.

Don't get me wrong here. I dont want to see lead paint in kids toys either. The bill was rushed in based on a terrible incodent of a kid swallowing a charm. But in that rush to judgement a lot of other things are now off limits. Based on this bill if I sell a toy at a garage sale, and your kid gets sick due to lead in or on the toy, I am resposible.

You can not even sell fishing equipment person to person if it is going to be used by a child under 12. So lets say you are 10 years old ridding around and come to a sale and want to by a tackle box, if you do, and swallow a sinker while fishing down by the river, the old guy who sold it to you can be held responsible.

Like I said, good concept, bad bill.

this is just stupid! after all the stuff ive done/eatin when i was a kid and the stories my dad has told me, im still here, and so is he, if there is lead gas or whatever im guessin its hardly any at all, what now? my uncle wanted to buy my cousin one for his birthday. now hes lookin for crazy to find one. So now some dad will go buy their son/daughter a horse and the kid will get kicked in the head,then what ban kids on horses? seriously, what a way to ruin a great outdoor activity for kids!

this is just stupid! after all the stuff ive done/eatin when i was a kid and the stories my dad has told me, im still here, and so is he, if there is lead gas or whatever im guessin its hardly any at all, what now? my uncle wanted to buy my cousin one for his birthday. now hes lookin for crazy to find one. So now some dad will go buy their son/daughter a horse and the kid will get kicked in the head,then what ban kids on horses? seriously, what a way to ruin a great outdoor activity for kids!

no kidding. how come we pay these morons tons of money to pull retarded things like this out?? seriously what 7yr old kid is going to take the battery out break it open and chew on the lead? honestly people get a life!

This bill was not a smart bill by all means but it had to start somewhere don't ya think. The bugs can be worked out. Its obvious the epa was not doing their job and thank fully someone in government stepped in and tried to do something about the problem of tainted merchandise being shipped into this country.

Show me a bill and now law that ever was perfect. I really don't think this law was intended to go after this particular industry just happened to be an unintended consequence. And it will be rectified

I dont think it was the battery in question but the paint on the ATV/cycle that was.

the items in question on the ATVs were the brake cables, valve stems, and the batteries all of which contained levels of lead higher than what it permissible.

I can maybe see brake cables if they're galvanized. But valve stems? smirk

Can we start a thread about how many of us as KIDS licked a motor, chewed on batteries, ate paint off the wall, swallowed sinkers, or gummed shotgun shells like they were bazooka bubble gum?

NO ! cuz we didnt do that as kids ! we played in the sandbox and kicked the can, put playing cards in the spokes of our bikes and GI Joe always saved the day.. we didnt eat paint or lick fri**n motors!!

... and for those that did (wanderer), it didnt kill them..

my point is. this bill is not designed for what it is now being used for, this happens a lot in washington, and it will take them time to argue about changing it and find two hundred other things to attach to it in the process.. but in the end it will get figured it.

I have felt for years that there must be lead in the water up on capital hill.. guess this is proof. HA !

I guess I'll just have to buy my 8 year old a 300 "adult" machine. wink I hope this doesn't interfere with the 3rd grade small engine class scheduled for this spring....

Does this apply to the mini snowmobiles also??????

haha my uncle is now thinkin about buying my cousins a 250 and putting a throttle block on it, ya the 3rd graders at our school are doin overhauls on the engines this week wink