• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A Nice Ice Fishing Story

Corey Bohn

Just thought I'd share a nice story with FM readers about a nice gesture made by a fellow ice fishermen I've never met. A few weeks ago in the trade / barter section of FM an individual listed an older Vexilar FL8 that he thought he had lost, but later found after moving and, after buying a new Vex FL12. The individual stated it worked well and that he would consider all barter offers in trade.

I had a couple extra map cards so the individual accepted my offer of a LakeMaster Woods/Rainy digital map card and a Minnesota digital map card, and a go-to Fiska's jig for panfish. I sent the items, and about four days later the Vexilar FL8 showed up at my doorstep---and it works great.

My 13-yr.old son now has his own Vexilar (the FL8) and I once again get to use my FL18 Vex. I told the individual it was for my son (and it indeed is), and he stated that's why he accepted the offer. Which is pretty cool, because I was about to go out and purchase a new FL18 until I saw his post on FM.

Hardly a winter goes by when you don't hear of reports of fish houses being broken into or various incidences on the ice. We seldom hear of the good things people do for others, or the kind acts of others, so I thought I would share this story. The FL8 is being put to good use by a young angler who really enjoys ice fishing and the outdoors. ****Thanks to M.T. from Onamia, MN.

Here another one, A few years ago there was a guy looking for a hand auger,I had 2 so I offered mine. I droped it off at his place of work. When ask if I wanted anything all I said is that when you upgrade or get a better one , you pass it to someone else that needs one. I don't know if he ever did, maybe if he sees this he can add to it. I am sure that there are others out there that have done other things also. Lets hear them.

A nice story that happened to me was I was out on an area lake last week and my dad and I share an auger. After picking it up I got to fishing. Well, after about 15 holes it ran out of gas. The first spot was not producing so I went to another. Thought there might be enough gas in there to get 2 more holes (or I hoped anyways) but I only got about a half hole cut before I realized it was not to be. It was like 3 in the afternoon and either I suck it up and ask a nearby fisherman or go home. Well rather than sit on the couch I walked over to a couple older guys with an american legion hat and a marines hat on and asked if they had any gas to spare, I just needed enough to cut 3-4 holes. One of em got their can and said fill er up. I talked to them for 15 minutes and they were really nice. I normally have everything I need out there and keep to myself but it is nice to know there are people out there to lend a hand if you need something.

I lost my father ten years ago,and around Christmas this past year I was down in the shed looking for some stuff when I came across a bucket and it had some of his ice rods and tip ups in it.Well lord knows I have way more than enough stuff in this department,so I started thinking who may want too use these items.I have a six year old nephew who had recently asked to see what this ice fishing thing was all about.So I know who would enjoy this new found tackle.I cleaned everything up,put on new line and got everything set up.I was shocked as I brought over these rods and bucket,told him the story of how they used to be his grandfathers and that I figured if he was to go ice fishing well he might need some gear.I have never seen this kid so excited!He spent the next hour taking out each rod/reel/bobber/jig...everything and carefull listening to me explain to him how it was used.And our first trip out after Christmas he had a great time,and I won a bet from his mother that he wouldn't last 20 mins on the ice,we fished from 12-5 pm,and he didn't want to leave.So it goes to show that the outdoor bug can bite anyone,and if we pass along the tools they need to enjoy it,it can be a lasting hobby to be enjoyed for years.