• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

02 F150 Starting Problem

Rost

I just bought an 02 F150 (5.4) with 27,500 miles on it. This truck is in mint condition and according to Carfax, it's only been in for routine oil changes.

I drove it for 2 days before buying it and it ran flawlessly, however my wife just called and said it hesitated twice today while it was turning over. She immediatly turn the key "off" then tried again and it fired right up. She decribed it like it wanted to fire, but just wouldn't quite fire all the way. She started the truck 6 times today, and she said it happened twice. Not sure exactly if the engine was warm or cold when this happened.

I am stuck out in Idaho right now, so I feel kind of helpless at the moment.

Any ideas of what I can check for when I get home?

I guess my first question is when she says hesitated does she mean it kept cranking and cranking and didn't start which would be an extended crank which is usually a fuel issue. Or did she mean it cranked over fine for a second then started to turn over real slow which would be a starter/battery issue.

My guess is that it is the first scenerio and it happened after the engine was fully warmed up and allowed to sit for 15 to 20 minutes (hot soak).

It's not a battery issue. After talking to her again, she said she only turned it over for approx 2-3 seconds before she turned the key back off. Then she would turn it again and it would fire right up.

She said it sounded like it was trying to fire, but could't quite get over the hump.

I agree with that it sounds like the fuel pressure dropping, put a gauge on it and see if it holds pressure.

Since when it doesnt start, when you turn the key, off then back on, it is repriming the fuel pump, and the second time the pressure is at where it needs to start.