• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiemaraner?

deerfishin

Im the proud owner of a Blue Wiem. He is only six months old and seems to be on the right track so far. Im just curious why i dont see much of anything mentioned about them. Ive hunted behind one before and was extrememly impressed. Whats everyones opinion on the breed positive and negative.

They are beautiful dogs. We considered a Wiem. when we were looking for a dog but we opted for a Vizsla as they are a little smaller (just fits our house better). But from my understanding they are similar in personalities.

I've never heard anything bad about them. Great hunters and great family dogs.

I've never owned a Weimi but know guys that have. If you get one from a hunting line I'm sure you will be very happy. The Weimi's started to fall victim to the same fate as the Gordon and Irish setters. They are such beautiful dogs that when they became popular people started breeding sub-standard dogs thus producing sub standard pups. I have heard that with some of these "unethical breeders" that there have been some aggression issues with the Wiemaraners. If you did your research in your breeder you shouldn't have any problems and I'm sure your dog will do fine. They are beautiful, a little big for me and my exclusiveness for the grouse woods but I'm sure they can hold up very well bustin grass all day. Good luck to you and your pup. Post some pics, some may have never seen one.

The Weimi's started to fall victim to the same fate as the Gordon and Irish setters. They are such beautiful dogs that when they became popular people started breeding sub-standard dogs thus producing sub standard pups.

That's the sad truth with far too many popular breeds.

I've known a few weimies and really like the breed. I'm not a hunter, but I think they are beautiful dogs, and the ones I have met have been very good. Our Great Dane likes to play with one at our local dog park. They have a blast together.

My #3 son bought one a while ago and since he can't have it where he lives, it lives at our house and he visits it every day. There's not a mean bone in its body but he is high energy and has an amazing nose. I know noses; I used to run Blue Tick hounds and now we have Bassetts. A couple days ago, he treed a possum in the back yard. We are fortunate to have a large yard with invisible fence so he will get enough exercise. As for size, he is four months old and and his mouth is at the level of the kitchen table. And he chews everything. They are not good dogs to start with. Very smart but you have to stay on them. With proper handling, I think he'll be a great dog.

I have had 4 weims in the last 20 years. Other than the one I have now all have been extremely good hunters and the best family dogs a guy could ever want. The one I have now, is a different story though. He is to smart for his own good, but refuses to listen. I brought him to a training facility and after 2 days I was called and told to come and get him. He is terribly aggressive with strangers. He would not harm a hair on anyone he knows but would eat someone he doesn't. I guess its not a terrible thing though, I know my wife and kids are safe when I am gone away from home all summer working.

My #3 son bought one a while ago and since he can't have it where he lives, it lives at our house and he visits it every day. There's not a mean bone in its body but he is high energy and has an amazing nose. I know noses; I used to run Blue Tick hounds and now we have Bassetts. A couple days ago, he treed a possum in the back yard. We are fortunate to have a large yard with invisible fence so he will get enough exercise. As for size, he is four months old and and his mouth is at the level of the kitchen table. And he chews everything. They are not good dogs to start with. Very smart but you have to stay on them. With proper handling, I think he'll be a great dog.

Funny thing, I used to raise Bluetics, and night hunted, back in the 80s. It was a blast, now into the springer's. for 20 years. right after they told you to go out and burry your furs. too bad. I had Dave dean and Uchman bred bluetics. GNFC Goods Northern Blue Abby Ring a bell? as far as the wiemer goes the only thing wrong is well "there Blue" whats up with that. JUST KIDDING.I almost got one as a kid because they were unusual. I don't know allot about them. Good luck to you though. Hope you have many great days afield with him. I am suprised no one has named one Babe after the Blue OX though.

I don't have any personal experiance w/ Weims.

Another trainer in knew back in the day raised some litters of them & then 'started them.

He felt that they took a lot longer to start hunting & especially pointing what he was used to.

I own 2 weims, one is a blue 2 1/2 year old female that did extremely well for me hunting last year and a 16 month old silver gray male. My female didn't lock on point till she was 16 months old. After that she did awesome. I am currently training her to do a UPT or UT test this Aug.. My male would lock on point on a pheasant wing suspended from a string at 9 weeks old. When I look back at the 3 gen. pedigree I could see why, the males dad is a FCH and the grandparents are FCH, AFCH, and NFC. The mother is CH, JH, NSD and the grandparents are CH JH NA NAJ NSD. This breed in my opinion is a little slower in getting the hunting thing down, but when it happens its awesome. I have high expectations for my male due to the pedigree, my female does not have this good of genetics in her pedigree but I think i trained her well. They are high strung dogs that have continuous energy. I exercise them everyday. I think they are very intelligent, but a little on the soft side for training. The E-collar has be used very carefully. My opinion is positive since they can get job done hunting plus they make good companions in the home. So good in the home that they will follow you and want to be with you all the time.