• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ER and Ice fishing?

Bottle Fish

Just out of curiosity has anyone else ended up in an Emergency Room as a result of ice fishing?

12-29-08 went fishing with a good friend and decided to move his house. Put a jack under it and lifted it up, wouldn't lift high enough to put on the ball. So I put my hand under the hitch to position a brick when it fell off the jack. I must say I was really lucky though my whole hand was under the hitch of the house and it only got 1 finger bad. 21 stitches later and a splinter fracture of my index finger I was good to go. Just a little tired of being in the ER for 5 hours. 2 of which I spent just waiting for X-ray results and a opinion from Abbott. I'm still in PT for it but it doesn't stop me from fishing.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who been in an ER as a result of Ice Fishing.

Not ice fishing but summer.

When I was 5 I accidently hooked my older sister in the head with a rapala which was removed in the ER.

I was on a Canadian fishing trip and we were staying in an outpost cabin on a lake not accessible by road. To get to this lake we took a boat ride across a part of rainy lake, then another 20min trip up a river. We then portaged about a half mile to the lake where we had 14 foot boats with 15hp on them. Anyways we were lake trout fishing and I hooked into a really nice one. Got the 7-8 pounder to the side of the boat and my cousin attempted to net it. He swooped the net down to get the laker and some how snagged a wing nut on the side of the boat. At the same time the rapala that was in the lakers mouth snagged another part of the net. So now there is our net tangled around this wing nut and a nice laker just hanging in the water thrashing around. This all happened within a couple seconds so my first instinct was to go for the fish with my bare hands. I grabbed the fish it slipped and the treble that was stuck in the net was also in my hand. It got me in the meaty part of my hand between my thumb and pointer finger. It went in about a half inch into my flesh and was stuck. So now we have a dilemma; We have a net stuck to the side of the boat, a fish stuck to the net, and me stuck to the net and the fish. We ended up cutting the net and cruised back to the outpost to get help. We first got the fish off then had to cut the net again to get it off my hand. Lucily we had an EMT in the party and he said the only thing we could do was to push it through the rest of the way and cut the barb. Thats what we did and it was one of the most painful things I have had to endure thus far. The EMT said if we could have we would have run to the ER to take care of it but it was not a possibility where we were. We still joke about it to this day and if it happened again I would still go for the fish.

Not ice fishing but summer fishing.

Reached down over the side of the boat and grabbed the line to lift up a little bass. The topwater lure I was using snapped free from the bass and one of the trebles went into my forearm.

Now I had a brainstorm of an idea, cut the treble hook apart so only one of the hooks was in my arm. As soon as I did that the part of the hook left in my arm went under the skin... gone... not to be seen.

So bleeding I now had to load a boat, drive to an ER and after 2 hours there they could not get it out. Had to see a surgeon! Geez, it's just a little hook.

Next day the surgeon took it out, my arm was now half black and blue inbetween my elbow and hand. Then the next day the blood poising line started going up my arm. Oh yes, it was an ordeal I will never forget. And I will never grab the line instead of the fish again!

Bottle fish, I turned pale just reading that.

When I was a young-un, I broke through the ice pretty good and then had to walk home through the woods. I prolly should have told mom and went to the doc but instead I hugged the wood stove for a couple hours in hopes mom wouldn't find out. She did, it wasn't good.

Couple years ago I stepped in a slushed over 10" hole that I didn't see. Quick trip to the doc and a couple months in a cast and now I'm good as new.

Many cuts, bruises, lacerations, and sprains in my life from ice fishing.

Been there twice from fishing but not ice fishing, all in the summer with all them hooks flying around!

Took a hook deep into my shin from a spoon that required a trip to the hospital, and then a during a pike tourney that I am sure we would have placed in, my friend fishin with me dug a huge rapala style bait into my head next to my temple, then proceded to give a couple yangs thinking he was hooked on something else. That of course led to the hospital, hypothermia, and me losing my chance at the tourney.

Been hooked a few other times in not so bad places but have surgically removed them myself, you get good at it after watching the doc do it a few times.

was walking back from spearing had my spear and chisel in one hand and all the other junk in my other it was cold and i was walking into a wind so i was trying to get back fast. i went to adjust the stuff in one hand and my chisel slipped out of my hand and cut my face open on my neck and under my chin. 21 stitches. I went out to where it happened after i got out of the ER, it looked like i was trailing a wounded deer.

as a 12 year old with a hand auger I was out drilling some holes (parents could see me with the binocs) and I pulled up the auger to see it was covered with slush/ice... not knowing much better I "wiped" away the slush with my glove covered hand taking off a big "V" cut in the glove and a pretty good section of the fingerprint on my index finger...

no ER as it was an hour away... plenty of tape and gauze... now that dime size section of my finger gets white when cold...

This isn’t really bad, but it always makes people cringe. I had a walleye spit a hook, and the tension on the line sprung the hook right under the cuticle on my middle finger. It was just an octopus hook, but I could not wiggle that thing out. The fish were biting really well though so I just cut the line, and left it in there until I got home.

bottle fish have done similiar stunt only I was hooking up boat to my truck. the way I used to have to wedge my boat in the garage it required me to pull it out of the corner of the garage by hand then I could hook it up to the truck. so I backed up what I thought was far enough pulled out the boat only to realize that I was a couple feet short.. No big deal I can stop the trailer once it gets over the gap between the floor and apron. Nope boat starts to roll towards tailgate so like the brite bulb I can be I stuck my hand in front of the hitch so It wouldnt scratch the truck.. 7 weeks in a cast and a few stitches and I am smart as ever.

Forgot about my hand auger accident, it was REALLY slippery on the roads one night a few years ago, I spun out into a ditch. I went to go dig in my back seat for a shovel or something I dont even remember what I was getting back there, but I leaned in and kneeled on my back seat putting my knee right onto my UNCOVERED auger blade! Got a nice deep 1.5" long gash in my knee. Accident didnt hurt me but when my ride got there my leg and hands were covered in blood, sure was an ugly scene, took some stitches and left a nice permanent mark on my knee.

This one makes me shudder just thinking about it. ER wasn't an option as we were in the middle of nowhere a portage deep in Ontario with a 12' boat. My Dad was wearing shorts and he kneeled on a large treble hook from a crank bait. It was stuck deep into the cartilage between his kneecap and his tibea. I remember he worked on it for a while, making horrible suppressed gasps of pain. Then he just looked at me and said "I might scream a little, but the only option is to pull it right back out." He took the pliers and jerked hard on the hook but it didn't budge. He screamed. Then he got mad and tried again, this time less gingerly. It ripped right out, bled quiet a bit... and we fished the rest of the afternoon. By the end of the day there was more fish blood in the bottom of the boat than my Dad's, so we won!

These aren't related to fishing, but my mom has some interesting injuries on her resume. When I was very young, my first bow was a recurve with cedar arrows. I was shooting in the yard when my mom decided she would give it a try. She pulled the recurve back further than I could ever imagine at that time, when the cedar arrow snapped on release and went into her left hand that was holding the bow. The arrow went in on the backside just behind her thumb and came out in her palm between her ring and pinky fingers. The arrow remained in her hand the whole time to the ER. My dad, who was driving her to the ER, was driving a manual Chevy Cavalier and accidently hit the arrow when he was shifting causing the arrow to tear some of the flesh. Needless to say, the ER doctors were amazed to see what happened and asked to take pictures.

The second incident also happened when I was younger. My brother took the key out of the ATV and my mom was trying to chase him to get it back. He dropped the key on the concrete garage floor and my mom stepped on it. The key went into the bottom of her foot. My uncle, who was an avid bowhunter, came over to try to assist on getting the key out. He had a problem with human blood and fainted. The key actually lodged on a tendon and had to be surgically removed. My mom took the whole incident pretty well until my dad, who was working out of town, called the hospital to ask my mom if his 4 wheeler key was alright.

Never been to the ER because of a fishing related incident, although one time I had to go there during a trip to Winni to have my appendix removed; it wasn't fun and I spent most of the trip in the hospital, but the day I was released I caught a nice northern about 36" shore fishing. Another time we were in the Boundary Waters and my uncle decided to run a series of rapids instead of portaging. He didn't know about the 6 foot waterfall at the bottom and he swamped his canoe, followed by my cousin in a separate canoe. All of their gear got soaked, a treble hook got buried in his leg (with the rod still attached and dragging on the bottom) and we had to paddle another 3 miles or so to the nearest campsite.

No ER, but in December I was using a bungee to secure the tarp on my portable. The plastic hook on the opposite side broke, the bungee came flying and the rest of the bungee and plastic hook complex hit me between my eyebrows. I developed a goose-egg about 2 inches high. As that absorbed over the next several days, I ended up with 2 black-eyes for 5 weeks. I had my pride bruised, but am just glad I still have my 2 eyes. Everyone gave me sh@t about it.