• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Recommendations from Airport to Resort-Cancun

Coach1310

Question

So.... my wife and I are lucky enough to be going to Cancun in a few weeks. What do those of you experienced recommend for getting from the airport to our resort. According to the HSOforum it is roughly 14miles. Taxi.... bus....shuttle? We could prebook a shuttle, but that would be $25 a piece, not sure if it is worth it. Any suggestions/experiences would be great. Thanks!!!

**I have yet to find a topic that someone on this site hasn't been able to help with**

16 answers to this question

I haven't done Cancun, but i take a shuttle in cabo for the 40 minute ride to town from the Aeropeurto:) having it set up in advance just makes things easier, especially if it's your first time there. As far as price, it's 16 bucks in cabo, so 25 seems high, but if thats the going rate...

take the shuttle. it's worth it, you never know with taxis down there. you kinda take you life in your hands with any sort of public transportation in mexico!! when you're there, take the bus (if you dare!!) to the markets, I like going to the markets when were there. done cancun twice and mazatlan once. where are you staying?

I'm leaving for Cancun next Wednesday. The best thing is to book it in advance. I did a "shared ride" and got it for $17.00 p/p, r/t to Cancun hotel. It has been over 25 yrs since I have been to Cancun, so, things have really changed. Also, don't talk to any "sharks" in the terminal, walk straight out to your transportation. These guys are time share salespeople and very high pressure! Google "trip adviser" they offer lots of good tips on travel. Google Cancuncare for the airport transfer options. Are you doing any fishing in Cancun?

You're right about the "sharks" it's much worse in mazatlan, but there are plenty in cancun as well. we where there a year ago and this time I noticed there were more vendors on the beach than last time. I got a nice pair of oakley shades for $10 smile

I took a cab, but that was back in 95' grin It went fine and I remember it being pretty reasonable. Just be up front with them and tell them you know how far it is and how much time it takes (even if you do not know wink ). It never hurts to barter also with more than one cab driver.

Then in town we walked or took the bus. The bus trips back then where crazy fast grin It was like you where in the Indy500.

Now-a-days I have no idea.

And whatever you do dont let anyone grab your bags and carry them to the transportation area. It will cost plenty to get them back. Also if you are drinking and decide to take the bus for a airconditioned cool down ride realize that you will have to pay again at the airport to ride back to the hotel district. Not good if you dont have any money in your swimsuit and you aren't wearing shoes...or so I've heard wink

Personally I would take a cab. We just got back a month ago and the bus ride was part of our "All Inclusive" trip. The bus was the worst part of the trip. We had to drop/pick people up at other resorts on the way to ours which turned a 45 min ride into a 1 1/2 hour ride! It really wasnt much fun. If I had it to do over again I would walk up the the group of taxi drivers and tell them where you are going and take the one that gives you the best price. Make them compete for your bussiness! Come to think of it I would skip Mexico next time and just stay in the states!!!

Use a cab, it's not as bad as it sounds. They know that if they (pretty much everyone local down there) start to bend over their main source of income (us) that we will stop coming back, rendering them poor once again. As stated, the "shuttle" bus ride stopping at all of the resorts to drop off and pick up is a pain, but is typically the cheapest. You are close enough that a taxi sounds like the way to go. Agree on a price up front, and $15 US doesn't sound too bad. But toss them a couple of bucks for a tip, anyways. It's not going to break your whole trip budget.

Also, again as stated, get your luggage and walk unassisted out of the entire airport before trying to get a taxi. Everyone inside that seems overly helpful are only trying to push timeshares. Go with the flow of people, and you'll be just fine.

Don't be scared of trying the "collectivos" to get around once you are at your resort, either. They are the vans you see driving up and down the strip between Cancun and Tulum, picking up and dropping off people along the way. For $2 US each you can get to almost anywhere along the strip, but you have to walk into and out of the areas you are trying to get to. My wife and I use them every time we go down there to go to Playa del Carmen and some of the snorkeling beaches.

Enjoy it; this is the first time in 4 years that we haven't gone down there, and we do miss it.

So.... my wife and I are lucky enough to be going to Cancun in a few weeks. What do those of you experienced recommend for getting from the airport to our resort. According to the HSOforum it is roughly 14miles. Taxi.... bus....shuttle? We could prebook a shuttle, but that would be $25 a piece, not sure if it is worth it. Any suggestions/experiences would be great. Thanks!!!

**I have yet to find a topic that someone on this site hasn't been able to help with**

Coach, my daughter and I are going to Cancun in a few weeks too 3/22-3/26 during her spring break. Never been down there so it should be interesting. Won't be doing any fishing though, this is a father/daughter trip. We're staying at the gran melia. Where you staying? I already pre-booked a shuttle to our resort. I've read you can really get ripped off by taxi's if you don't agree on a price. Cheapest way around is the bus. The time share people apparently wear blue shirts at the airport, so avoid them.

Don't be scared of trying the "collectivos" to get around once you are at your resort, either. They are the vans you see driving up and down the strip between Cancun and Tulum, picking up and dropping off people along the way. For $2 US each you can get to almost anywhere along the strip, but you have to walk into and out of the areas you are trying to get to. My wife and I use them every time we go down there to go to Playa del Carmen and some of the snorkeling beaches

Those collectivos are a great deal, and you get a taste of the real Mexico. They are not air conditioned and usually pretty crowded, but an experience for sure.

We were in Mazatlan last year and had a pre-booked shuttle bus to the resort. It was a long way to the airport and the shuttle bus was nice cause it had AC and they handled loading all the bags. The first 2/3rds of the ride was through some pretty rough looking areas.

When we were there we would take rides in these things that were gas powered golf cart type deals. You had to negotiate with the driver before you got in and you could talk them down every time.

Probably the most educational thing we did was take a bus tour out into the toolies for half a day. Man it's hard to figure out how some of those folks keep going. The tour guys clearly had pre-set places where you would stop and there was always an expectation that money would get spent no matter where/what was going on. Interesting to see past all the glitz of the tourist resort and shopping areas.

We were at the Mayan Palace in that area the last week of Jan. I'd recomend taking a cab. They don't have meters in many cabs, so settle on a price before you or any of your luggage is in the cab. Prices are pretty standard once they know where you are going.

Use a cab or prebook a private ride shuttle - USA TRANSFERS, North American owners - they'll treat you right.

I just reserved a ride from Aiport to Playa del Carmen yesterday via USA. It's almost cheaper than taking a cab or a shared shuttle:

Cab ride $65

shared shuttle $26 each x 2 = 52

private shuttle $55

You'll get to your hotel 1-2 hours earlier. Shuttles will make you wait until your shuttle is full, then stop by a bunch of other hotels before dropping you off at yours (probably).

The taxi prices from Airport are set prices, but be sure and double check. DONT get sucked into some B.S. timeshare dealio. They will say they are from your resort, free ride to resort, etc

have fun!

Thanks for all the info. Like I have said.... there isn't a question in the world this site can't help with!!

I just found the USA Transfers option yesterday and have actually spoken to a couple different people at work who have used them. Nothing but great experiences, so for my own piece of mind, I think we will be booking with them.

Thanks again for all the info.

**For those who asked, not sure if I will be doing any fishing. I found an excursion called "Night Party Fishing". Sounds like it could be fun.... they even cook the fish you catch right on the boat for you. Could be a learning experience...however I might just settle for laying by the pool or the beach!