• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

the end of a season draws near.

Gordie

anyone going to head out this weekend? I hope to get out not sure yet whats going on.

I had a very sucessful season and mostly in part from this forum and it has been my pleasure in posting and meeting you guys out on the hard water with one thing in come a passion for a dieing tradition. I hope see some of you guys at other gtgs and if not there always shootin the bull on this site which can be as much fun as spearing itself. good luck to all that get out for the end of the season.

Anyone been out since it rained? I have tried 2 different lakes, but both have become cloudy. I am wondering if all the cold melt water went to the bottom and cauased a "turnover" of the lakes and stirred things up. Looking for a place to spend my last weekend, but it would be nice if I could see my decoys.

i was out on minnewaska last weekend and the water was clear. were you looking thru a beer bottle? thats why cans work better! crazylaughwhistle HEY ELWOOD: yep i am headed north tomorrow nite. heard there was ONLY 24 inches of ice up there. good luck to all that go out on thee last hurrah. as elwood said it was great to meet all the guys and gal that are as dedicated to spearing as i. the gtgs are fun. you also might meet up with people that can do the sprinkler! eeksmirklaughsmirk

the lake i have been spearing turned over too. some areas are clear enough to see fish but some i cant even see the bottom of the ice!!!!

it happened when all that water was on the ice.

im heading to michagan for perch this weekend so yesterday was my last day of spearing.

I've been out to Christmas Lake a few times this week, and the waters clear down to at least 15 feet. Haven't seen any, but I'm gonna try at least one more time. I'm not sure about the weekend; might be headed up to the Eelpout Festival, but plans change. Maybe I'll spear Leech, too.

I will be out at least three more times that I know for sure. I will not be spearing though I will be fishing these fish with tip ups. For the last three weeks we have been a some gig girl gators. So instead of spearing them I have decided to catch them and let them live another day. I did find these big fish while out with a guy who was spearing. Funny thing is he didnt get any cause they were not what he was looking for. I got pics here somewhere.

I can't believe it's almost over. frown I still have more spots to try! I never did find a honey hole. Only speared 4 pike so far.

I might have to take Friday off and head to Leech Lk. That's where I had my one good day of spearing this year.

My regular lake (Peltier) got cloudy after the rain and melt a couple of weeks ago too. I think the dead weeds have been getting stirred up by the water going down the holes and cracks. Yesterday was my last spearing attempt as the wife and I are going up to the Dead Sea this weekend with some friends. All the spearhouses were gone after the rain, guess I know why...

Originally Posted By: Spearhead
My lake is gin clear and I'll be on it ever day for the rest of the season.

do I know which one it is grin I,m looking for a place to go any suggestions

I think you do. I'll shoot you an email w/my number I'll be on the lake all day Friday-Sunday.

i hear ya big guy. my wife wants to go to alaska and hawaii. not that i dont, just not apriority. she once asked me or told me "is there anywhere you would go that doesnt include bringing a gun or fishing equipment"? i didnt have an answer! confusedconfusedgrinwhistle

made it out today and was set up by 11:00am and in the first hour and a half I saw 6 pike first two were small then a 26incher that I took and then a 29 3/4 incher which I also took. as I was waiting for the third pike I noticed some sunnies and I dont typically fish while Im spearing but these were 9 inch sunnies and I was hungry for fish so I grabbed a jigstick and started catching a few when this 13-14 inch pike comes into the spoon and stares at it then out of nowhere this 8 inch bullhead comes flying in rams the pike in the side the pike swims just outside the hole and turns around and comes back to the spoon but before he could get there the bullhesd smacks the pike again and the pike this time shoots off I think the bullhead stung the pike then the bullhead starts chasing the sunnies out off the area until it sees the spoon then it swam up to it and just swam around the spoon for a bit as if to guard it. I think it was a love sick bull head. man it was a LOL moment in the shack. what a fun day it turned out to be spearing by 11:00 and home by 3:30 ended up with 10 sunnies and 2 pike

made it out today and was set up by 11:00am and in the first hour and a half I saw 6 pike first two were small then a 26incher that I took and then a 29 3/4 incher which I also took. as I was waiting for the third pike I noticed some sunnies and I dont typically fish while Im spearing but these were 9 inch sunnies and I was hungry for fish so I grabbed a jigstick and started catching a few when this 13-14 inch pike comes into the spoon and stares at it then out of nowhere this 8 inch bullhead comes flying in rams the pike in the side the pike swims just outside the hole and turns around and comes back to the spoon but before he could get there the bullhesd smacks the pike again and the pike this time shoots off I think the bullhead stung the pike then the bullhead starts chasing the sunnies out off the area until it sees the spoon then it swam up to it and just swam around the spoon for a bit as if to guard it. I think it was a love sick bull head. man it was a LOL moment in the shack. what a fun day it turned out to be spearing by 11:00 and home by 3:30 ended up with 10 sunnies and 2 pike

That is what I love about spearing, seeing what all goes on under the ice. The other day I was watching some little sunnies down there, then they all scattered, here comes a big ol' dogfish cruisin' through the hole.

Speaking of bullheads, do you guys see them quite often? In all the years I have been spearing I didn't see a one until this year. I have seen four in the last month, on three different lakes. They weren't attacking little northerns though grin