• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling motor batteries?

JASONY

Question

Pat-the battiers are wierd together to get the 24v but its converted to 24v at the plug on the trollingmotor. If that makes sense.

The batteries are wired in series to get 24V (12 +12). There is no conversion to be done. Series wiring doesn't give more capacity, just more volts. If you want more capacity you would have to wire 2 sets of series wired 12V in parallel (4 12V batteries total) to get more capacity.

Space- Last year. Im not a expert but, when trying to figure out why my motor wasn't working.I took my meter and check the battiers each had 12+v in them. At the panel where I plug the motor in had 12+v not 24v. There are no fuses in the motor. So I went to Fish-electrioncs he said that in the plug there is a stripe of metal that completes the contection to make 24v. I'm not a machanic.

Space- Last year. Im not a expert but, when trying to figure out why my motor wasn't working.I took my meter and check the battiers each had 12+v in them. At the panel where I plug the motor in had 12+v not 24v. There are no fuses in the motor. So I went to Fish-electrioncs he said that in the plug there is a stripe of metal that completes the contection to make 24v. I'm not a machanic.

Depends on the plug. Some 24V systems are wired at the batteries, some are wired at the plug.

Charley, the 24V plug is just connecting the batteries in series at the plug. For the plug to work, you have to run 4 wires from the battery to the plug. This is why most people series the batteries together and run 2 wires to the trolling motor from the batteries.

To get more capacity you would have to parallel two sets of 12V batteries then series them, like spearchucker said.

Charley, these batteries were 2 yrs old last summer. I'm not sure exactly how long they lasted but about 6 to 7hrs. We need them to last longer if its calm out and in a tournament. Wasn't thinking of replacing just one battery,but adding a 3rd battery.

Spearchucker, I think you answered my ?. You are basically saying that if I want to add capacity, I need to add 2 batteries. Now for wiring them!? Lets say batteries A and B are already hooked up and I'm adding C and D. would I just wire B to C (pos to neg and neg to pos) then C to D (pos to neg and neg to pos) or is that not right?

It is possible you could get more capacity with just increasing the battery size, or new ones if they're old.

If your current batteries were group 24 or group 27, you'd get an increase by going to group 31 batteres. The bigger the increase, the bigger the capacity increase.

Also, some types of batteries have more capacity in a given size than others. That's something to look at too.

However, to get a really big increase, yeah, it would be four batteries in a parallel/series connection.

Charley, these batteries were 2 yrs old last summer. I'm not sure exactly how long they lasted but about 6 to 7hrs. We need them to last longer if its calm out and in a tournament. Wasn't thinking of replacing just one battery,but adding a 3rd battery.

Spearchucker, I think you answered my ?. You are basically saying that if I want to add capacity, I need to add 2 batteries. Now for wiring them!? Lets say batteries A and B are already hooked up and I'm adding C and D. would I just wire B to C (pos to neg and neg to pos) then C to D (pos to neg and neg to pos) or is that not right?

Probably the easiest way would be to set one new battery along side each existing old battery. Then, leave the all existing wiring to the old batteries exactly as is, but add a jumper wire from the + and - of each new battery to the + and - of the old battery it's sitting along side of.

Like this...

Batteries.gif

The above drawing looks correct.

Series wiring is connecting + to - and which adds the voltages of the 2 batteries. Batteries in a flashlight are connected + to - so that the 1.5V cells are added together. 2 batteries = 1.5 * 2 = 3V.

Parallel wiring connects + to + and - to -. This doesn't increase the voltage it just increases capacity.

Going with bigger (ie. more capacity) batteries is the best way to get more run time out of your existing setup. Or adding 2 batteries like Whoareu99 illustrated to double the capacity.

Other options might be changing your trolling motor. If you have a smaller 24 volt motor you're running near max speed it will drain your batteries faster than a bigger, more powerful 24 volt motor run on lower settings. Or you could go with a 36 volt motor, which would have around 100 lbs of thrust and run off 3 batteries.

I have warrior 177, 1600 lbs. +-, transum style. I 'm back trolling. Thats why I've said what I've on hear. I 'm very aware of the variables. If you are running that trolling motor at 3/4 - to wide open ths motor isn't going to last very long and should be using your main motor.

How long do your last?

Do you have a onboard charger you can plug in and charge overnight? I have one and love it. I rarely have a day when I use all my juice and then just plug in at night. Actually I don't think I have ever run out of juice in one day and I run it pretty hard and fish long days. I have too 80 lb thust 24 volt trolling motors on a 17 foot wetliner with 2 29 series batteries. Sometimes I am running both motors at the same time. Maybe a on-board honda generator is what you need. grin

I would hesitate to add two more batteries as they are quite heavy and that just adds to more bashing in the rough stuff.

Good luck.

1600 lbs doesn't sound that heavy. I think my 17 aluminum goes about 2200 with all the gear etc. I'm pretty sure I'm about maxed as to what the boat can take in weight with just 2 people in it. The 24 volt system works well for me but a 36 volt system would be nice at a price.

Thanks for all the input! The boat is a Ranger 620vs. Yeah it's a heavy boat. Most of the time we are just using it to hold on structure and if the wind is blowing pretty good, it takes that much more power to hold the spot. I dont think changing to a 36v system is the best option(cost of new trolling motor ain't cheap).

Yes we do charge it every night.