• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trolling Motor Batteries

AaronM

I know this topic has been posted before (I did a search but couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for) so I apologize for doubling up! But my questions are:

What group size batteries should I get? I believe my trays are set for 27 max, but is it worth it for refitting for group 31?

What brand to get? I've heard Interstates are good, as well as Cabela's AGM batteries.

I don't to take any short-cuts on this, but are there any batteries in or under the $150 class? I know you get what you pay for, but maybe there is a decent cheap alternative out there.

Finally, just to clear this up for myself, I have two batteries up front for the trolling motor, but they are not hooked up directly together. Instead, wires come from the trolling motor and seperately connect to both batteries. This is a 12 volt system, correct?

Thanks for any responses! Again, I know this topic has been covered in the past but looking for a bit more specific answers. Thanks!

Finally, just to clear this up for myself, I have two batteries up front for the trolling motor, but they are not hooked up directly together. Instead, wires come from the trolling motor and seperately connect to both batteries. This is a 12 volt system, correct?

Sounds like a 24V system to me. A lot of times the jump is made at the plug. Do you know what model trolling motor you have?

I have heard good things about the Walmart Marine Maxx batteries--they very affordable.

At this point it's not safe to assume it's one system over the other.

It could be a parallel setup at the plug or a series setup at the plug.

You would need to take a look at how the plug is wired to the trolling motor (red wire or orange wire) to get started determining what voltage you have.

How about what size or type of batteries?

I think the size depends on your fishing style / preferences.

The group 27 do a good job, but if you do a lot of running or a lot of time before charging, the 31's will give you extra run time. But, they cost more and weigh more (which in effect cost you more again with burnt fuel)).

What Brand? Interstates are tough to beat... the AGM offer some nice advantages but take a special charger.

marine_man

I've used several brands of batteries ( Interstate, Die Hard, Batteries Plus Worker's, MnKOta, etc,) but the best batteries I've found is Excide Marine. With heavy use I got 5 years on my last two pushing a Lund ProV 1800 around and sold them with the boat. I'm going on year 3 on my current batteries. These batteries are also reasonably priced.

Bought two of the deep cycle marine batteries at WalMart in New Ulm for the fish house. Paid $62.00 each plus $10.00 to dispose of old batteries. Have heard nothing but good reports about them. Incidentally, have heard most all batteries are made by one or two companies in the US.

I have never gotten more than 4 yrs. on a battery weather it was 12 or 24v. Didn't matter what brand of battery. In 25 yrs of fishin. If you listen to Bear facts and Fish tales on Sunday nite. Larry Boilig has said the same thing.