• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dog tore right knee ligaments

just_jig

My 4 yr old going on 5 Yellow lab was diagnosed with the knee injury by the vet. Everything I have read leads me to believe that her diagnoses is correct. The surgery cost is $900.00 dollars and after surgery care is time consuming and hard due to trying to keep an active dog inactive. The other thing I have read is many times the other knee will blow due to the excessive compensation from not using the injured knee.

Has anyone ever had the surgery for their animal? and what is your thoughts?

Also, anyone know what will happen if I opt out of the surgery and just see what happens. Maybe get a new pup this spring. having a hard time justifying $900.00 bucks but she is a very good hunter and family dog.

Last year my 5 year old Golden did the same thing. The surgery I opted for was $2300. in Faribault . Because of his size[95 lbs]She recomended the more expensive surgery in which they cut the bone and install a stainless metal piece with 5 screws. Yes , the recovery and rehab was a pain and lengthy. But I'm glad I had it done . He has mended well , hunts like crazy, and is my best buddy.........

I would do it again............

My 80lb chocolate lab has had the surgery on both back legs. once at 2 years old and the other at 3 years old. she is now 6 years is doing fine. I had the metal plate and screws put in on both the legs at the U of M. I was told it should lessen arthritis and have better support in the long run. With her being young I thought the metal plate was the best route and I am glad I did. The recovery process is long and involved lots of carrying down steps to get outside but it is well worth it. She may not jump up in the car like she used to. After a long day of hunting she is sore and takes longer to stand up, but she is ready to go the next day with the tail wagging. I give her glucosimine to help with her joints

I just had it done on my 110lb lab. $900 + he is approx 10 years old and I would do it again.

He still limps around after getting too excited but the vet says that is normal. I try to keep him off the ice and once the snow melts I will be working him back into shape.

Good Luck

Mike

J jig,

My 95# Chocolate Lab also tore his knee up a couple weeks ago...did a lot of contemplating on this as he's my first dog and 8 years old. Very expensive either way. I did a lot of research and shopping around. Come to find a vet in Byron who does a newer method of surgery called the tightrope method which uses much stronger material than traditional methods (Very few vets do this method). The price is cheaper than the TPLO method with the steel plate but most important is that its much less invasive of a surgery. "We" are now going on day 12 and he's already wanting to run but I have been keeping him confined since the day of surgery. I also am hoping the other knee doesn't blow out as I don't know if I'd be able to afford that at this time. It's worth it as I am hoping I can get a couple more quality years out of him! Good luck!

I dropped over 8 grand two years ago at the U of M and I would do it all over if I had too! Sure it's a lot of money but she is like a puppy again (6 years old) and an amazing dog! It's only money, just make more...good luck with your decision!

I dropped over 8 grand two years ago at the U of M and I would do it all over if I had too! Sure it's a lot of money but she is like a puppy again (6 years old) and an amazing dog! It's only money, just make more...good luck with your decision!

Wow! I commend you for your taking care of your dog like that. I love my dog, but not that much. I don't know what my ceiling is for something like that and I hope I never have to find out. I thought my neighbor was nuts spending $1000 on their $25 mutt cat and thought at the time I'd never spend that much on a pet. Now that I have a good dog I can say I'd spend at least that if I had to. (but only on a dog...not on a cat)

Had this done in the mid 90's before all the new surgeries and was very happy with the results and I expect alot out of my dogs. I was told that the odds were very high for the other knee going out after the first one and it happpened 3 years later. Had nothing to do with favoring the repaired knee as they had included one legged dogs in the study. Maybe more research has been done to change these odds. Just reporting what I was told and experienced in what you could call the infancy of canine knee surgeries.

Good luck. My 80 pound female had the fishing line surgery last April, and she is doing great. The appears to be some mild arthritis, but it does not seem to have slowed her down at all.

Just follow the recovery instructions to the letter, and I think you will be happy.

Once the recovery period was over, swimming seemed to really help her a lot.

No experience with this but I am noticing that majority of the dogs who have tears or knee injuries and need this surgery are typically the heavier labs 85-90 lbs + Just wondering if this is just a result of our hard working dogs or are these heavier labs more prone to to these injuries than say my 63 pound little lady? I commend some of you for your willingness to spend the cash and get your buddys hunting again.

I second the recommendation doing alot of swimming after the surgery...of course only when the vet says it is time. There is a lot less stress, helps with strengthening and plus it is fun for you and your dog.

Also, Glucosimine pills everyday can help your dog's joints (knees or hips) and potentially lessen the arthritis and arthritis pain that may come down the road the dog gets older. I started to give it to mine after she had the first surgery and can tell the difference...she thinks the pill is treat!

No experience with this but I am noticing that majority of the dogs who have tears or knee injuries and need this surgery are typically the heavier labs 85-90 lbs + Just wondering if this is just a result of our hard working dogs or are these heavier labs more prone to to these injuries than say my 63 pound little lady? I commend some of you for your willingness to spend the cash and get your buddys hunting again.

Yes Wow, I see a real big trend here, no offence to anyone here and hope the best for all dogs but is this just me or is there allot of lab guy's haveing this issue? Has anyone had this in other breeds. I have not seen this In Springers at all, but it just amazed me when I see all these reply's from large lab owners.again no offence just really curious on the alarming responce.

Has nothing to do with OFA. It is an athletic problem. Overweight would obviously be an aggrevating factor and most labs are at least 10 lbs.(about 15%) overweight. I don't think anyone would say pro athletes have poor genetics and they seem to be blowing out knees all the time.

I have a friend that has a GSP that weighs 60lbs and is having the steel plate surgery in a month or so. He's getting it done by a vet in Alexandria and it's going to cost him around $2000.

Well wish him luck for us, I use one there if it is the same one He is very good.And well I guess maybe all dogs can have the accident.That doesn't sound realy over weight for a GSP, Probably just so many more labs out there.

prior to getting the surgery I did a lot of research and found that dog size is not the main reason and have read that even worthless dogs (like Poodles) can blow a knee.

The high intelligence factor of the owner is probable why the number of labs.

Just kidding about the other dogs.....

Up her in dog sled country the vets perform this surgery on sled dogs fairly often.

Over weight dogs have a harder recovery time.

Until my lab had this happen I had never heard of it before. I was told by the U of M that labs have a higher chance this happening because of the way their legs/knees/bones are aligned. that is why when the TPLO surgery is done they shave off part of the bone and realign things with the plate. I do think a dog that is overweight has better chance of it happening though. What ever the cause, it sucks to go thru with your dog.

In the mid 90's my 3 year old weimaraner wrecked his knee jumping onto the bed at night. He had some kind of knee surgery that involved some really strong monofilament fishing line. He fully recovered, I never had a problem with the other knee either. He lived to be 15. It seemed to bother him a bit in later years. It seemed to bother him a bit in later years too. After the surgery he had 8 good years of hunting, then became the family pet for the last 4 years.