• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Shimano reel

ate1cropy

Im looking to purchace a new rod and reel set up for fishing walleye bass and maybe some pike. Ive gone to the store several time to play with the new Shimano Stradic 2500fi and I love how it feels. I have heard many great things about it but I have also heard some bad things about the bails. Whats your guys input, any experience with this reel? Would it be better to take the step up to the Sustain? -Thanks

Don't know anything about this new reel, but I have 3 other Stradics , and have never had issues with them. The Sustains are nice!!!!

With the rod I'm building, I'm going to put a Stradic MgFB on it. They are lighter than the original Stradics. Check these out also $229.00

I have 3 of the new 2500 and 1 1000, no bail problems yet either. Very durable reels. If it were me, I wouldn't upgrade to the Sustain. I don't think i'd get much extra performance out of it - maybe I should finally try one?

Get a better rod, or another rod; that's a pretty proven path to burn extra cash. I use mostly glx and legend rods and have either shimano stradics or pflueger presidents and supreme reels on them all. I've seen the xt supreme models for cheap... Ugly as PoorWordUsage, but a good reel.

Before you settle on the 2500 size, take a look at the 3000 size. It has a diffrent handle that I really liked so I upped to the 3000. Don't think there was a much diffrence in size.

I actually went with the Saros (very smooth), couldn't justify the extra cost for the new Stradic. I do have two ot the FE Stradics and am very happy with them.

I looked at the Mg's last night. For the 2500 they 9.0 oz. The regulat Stradic weighs 9.5 oz.

The mg's are nice, but depending on how the Loomis SJR 842 extended to 7'9" feels I may need the extra weight to balance.

My first thought is if weight isn't an issue, should I spend the extra for a Mg, or go with a Sustain, or stay with a Stradic

Deitz, maybe you can weigh in on this, since you know these reels grin.

Rod- as I stated in my above post. For me, I dont think the loss in weight makes up for the dollar ammnt needed to spend. But again, I can only speak for myself. For me, a reels weight is not felt as much as the weight of a rod, As its held in your hand. Placing that monies on a lighter rod or a rod that is ballanced better will "feel" lighter.

Again, just my opinion... I own regular Stradics, not the Mg. If you have the money, the Sustain is a step up!