• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water softner

Charley

I got 21 years out of my first softener and my current one is a Sears Kenmore (Circa 1997/ single resin tank) and I'm happy with it. I had it repaired last week and I hope to get another 6 to 8 years out of it. Kenmore has an online diognostics program to help you determine the cause of a problem and instructions to do some repairs yourself. If you have a by-pass valve it's easy to put the softner in. If you don't have a by-pass put one in first. The two tank systems are the best but can run over $800 installed.

I've had my water softener at my current residence for 8 years, with no problem. I had a water softener at my old place for 5 years with no problems there either. What really impressed me with the Kenmore water softener was at my old place the water was REALLY rusty, and it made it clear as can be. Neither softener use much salt at all (about 1 bag every 3 months) At my home I live in now we replaced a water boss softener that was a p.o.s. and it was only 3 years old. No problems since I put in the Kenmore.

Kinetico are way over priced. The local office wanted to hire me as a salesman a couple years ago, so I saw first hand what kind of markup they have. I was shocked.

I have had a Rainsoft for close to 30 years. It now needs a new digital head. I could get by replacing a few small parts, but it seems like every couple years, another minor part fails. This new head will run me $262, but I should then be good for another decade or so.

Actually, I was hired to sell them, when they first opened locally. They were selling for $1100 at the time. They were a tough sell. I made sure I bought mine, before I quit. I believe I got mine for about $600. I still think they are the best softener on the market. With one of these babies, the water gets slippery soft. There is a chain of water conditioning outlets in the cities, that handles them. Last week, when I needed to call someone, I found a dealer in Perham, MN and they gave me the phone # of a dealer in Watertown, SD, which is much closer and also services my area.

My culligan is 12 years old and I have 12 repair invoices for it and it's broke again. I'm done with that brand. I'm going to the Home and Garden show at the MPLS convention center the first week in March. Kinetico, Commers, Surge are going to be there and probably some others . I can compare them all at one location and maybe get a show discount.

The by-pass valve will be located on the water lines just before they enter and exit the water softener. It usually has a push/pull function to open and close it as opposed to a knob to turn. If your softener has problems in the future you can still have water to the house and isolate the softener for repair or replacement. Just to a web search for water by-pass valves to see what they look like.