• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Washer questions

BobT

Question

We have a Whirlpool top load high capacity washer and every once in a great while we'll notice a puddle on the floor.

I can't be certain but we may have noticed a possibility that it is only leaking when my wife uses the delicate setting. Doesn't make any sense to me. What would it matter which cycle we used?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bob

8 answers to this question

Best way to tell is pull the front cover off after it leaks and look for water. An occasional, leak my guess is the seal for the basket and top trim. In which case you'd pop the lid off. The ring will be a snap fit as well. The gaskets are cheap and its and easy fix.

I experienced the same issue with my Kenmore washer.

I wouldn't always have a leak, and it was troubling to locate.

I eventually found that the plastic water dispenser/pipe that fills the washer tub was the culprit. It appeared that if the tub was uneven after a wash cycle, and during a re-fill, the water exiting the dispenser would hit the outer rim of the tub and water would drip along the backside of the tub and leak onto the floor.

I re-positioned the dispenser and haven't had an issue since. Hope your's is as simple as that?

I haven't been able to dig into it enough to figure out where the leak is coming from. I believe my wife finds the water on the floor near the front right corner as you face the washer. Coincidentally, this is same corner where the bleach dispensor is located. I know she doesn't use the dispensor though.

I just couldn't figure out why it only leaks when she uses the delicate cycle. At least that's what she's claiming.

Bob

The bleach dispenser is probably what is leaking. Even though you're not using it, it still may pump a little water through it, possibly only on delicate cycle. It just has little holes on the part on splash guard under the cabinet. The holes get plugged and cause it to leak. If you can move the tub far enough to the side to get at them or you may have to take the plastic cup out that sits on the cabinet. I usually take a screwdriver and punch the holes out bigger so the can't plug again. Alot of times it's just dust that plugs them up, not a very good design. Hope this helps and fixes it for you. Good Luck

Check how quick the tub drains and if the spout from the washer is under water when the entire loads water is put out (on high water level) in the tub or check for your lint screen being plugged on the drain spout into the tub.

I had a situation where the tubs drain was clogged and draining very slow, plus my drain spout had gotten tilted down further in the tub. Basically there was still dirty water (I think hydro locking) in the washer when the next water fill started and would push some water up and over, which would spill on the floor under the washer. I found my plastic drain tube spout was draining into water that was slow to drain in the wash tub instead of above the water lever.

Good luck!

It's because none of your filthy mud covered clothing is in their with the 'delicates'. Either the Ms. has to grub around some in the dirt or toss a couple of your socks in there to thicken things up and stop the leaking.