• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

internet at home

pinkfloyd4ever

Question

I don't have home internet, on my breaks at work-here I am smile

That said, I would like to get internet at home and after reviewing forum policies I do believe I can say company names as long as I am not trashing them or giving any false info, links etc. Hope I have that part correct.

I live in an apt in Robbinsdale now. I will be getting Comcast cable, but I don't want to pay what their basic internet cost is, IMO I'd be paying more than what I would use it for.

I have a cell phone via T-mobile, no land line. I don't see the point to establish a land line just to get the internet either. I plan on going to a T-mobile store to see about these internet cards or something I have heard about, but no real knowledge about them.

What type of internet plans may be out there and available?

Thanks

The cards works fairly well, they are a bit slower than a direct broadband connection though. My Comcast cable internet has been flawless and fast for the past several years. No complaints here.

I'm not going to suggest or recommend doing it, but if I really wanted to, I could drop my Comcast internet service and get it for free. I have several unsecured wi-fi options available in my neighborhood wink

Ya, that's my head scratcher here because I know Mpls has Wi-fi thru the city, but I don't think it stretches enough to Robbinsdale.

Mostly looking at getting it for X-box live LOL, maybe a little home 'net surfing, but all in all, I don't want to invest over $40 a month for something that I don't really really need and would use that much, but on the flip side, nice to have it too.

yopaulypinkfloyd, what dtro was referring to was that some of his neighbors have wireless routers set up without a security key. He could "leech" off their services if he wanted to. You need a wireless card or network adapter for a desktop to make a connection this way or you can use a laptop with a wireless card in which most do.

If you're planning on using it for X-Box I would think you'd want to be sure to have a rather fast connection. Will a wireless broadband be fast enough and clean enough? Maybe a hish speed DSL or cable connection would be better?

I'm not an expert by any means and so I don't know for sure. Mostly just thinking out loud.

Bob

For Xbox Live (which I use too) I would recommend something that is a direct connection. Whether it be DSL or Cable. That is about your only options.

I think Comcast is offering an intro package that you can get internet for 29.99 for the first 6 months. The reason I know that is because I called them up and said I would like that price because I would hate to have to switch over to DSL since they are also offering a great deal to switch over.

They agreed to give me the next 6 months for 29.99. smile

well maybe I will try that route, they offered an intro price, then after 3 months it basically doubled. Like I said, overall with the internet I can take it or leave it, just more was looking for what other type of options may be avail than the 2 big companies that I see advertise all the time.

We use Sprint cards at work and they work pretty well. For surfing and internet, they work just fine. That being said, it costs almost as much to go that route as it does to have Comcast. Using the Xbox live and one of those cards most likely wouldn't work, not sure how you'd even connect to that. If you could it would be pretty slow.

In an apartment, I would bet that you could leech off a neighbor smile My wife's laptop picks up like 6-8 networks in our house.

I had Comcast for years. There internet isn't cheap, but it was reliable and fast. It's probably the only thing they had that I was happy with (other than the price). I recently switched to Qwest DSL. It's a bit slower, but not slow by any means. I don't do anything that requires ultra-high speeds so it is fine with me. I think you can get Qwest DSL without a land line phone. I'd give them a call and ask.

I don't know that any other options would be any cheaper.

Good luck!

I will check the qwest line out. I was looking for a T-mobile store because on their site they market some sort of home internet system, but I don't understand all of it.

Hypothetically, if I had some sort of wireless capable device, like a laptop, that would tell me if there were other wireless systems nearby?

Yes, a wireless device will display the available networks in your area. I don't know what the law is on this though. What I do know is that it is exactly as stated AN UNSECURE CONNECTION. So just as you are accessing that network, so are other people who then can in turn access your PC. Be very careful of that.

Last night I was messing around with some speed tests on my Comcast service, and was very pleased with the numbers I was getting, especially my uploads speeds. My average was approx 3000/1500 or 3/1.5 (download/upload).

You can try this for yourself at speedtest.net

If you are on a unsecured wireless you still need to have their usernames and passwords to access them. Plus their HDD's would have to be shared, if they go to that extreme they want you to see what is on there.

Not so, you can set up a wireless network with no username/password combo, just not recommended unless you live out in the toolies. That is how the internet cafes are setup.

If you have a wide open Wireless LAN I have tools that I can use to capture packets from your PC/Laptop. They are called sniffers. Believe me the are tools out there that can do that and more.

Standard Windows install leaves some gaping holes as far as security/service type ports go. I have a WPA/TKIP WLAN with a 25 character key, windows firewall on and a firewall on my network and I still won't keep any financial account numbers or anything on my PC.

Call me paranoid, but I have sit in on too many security seminars/webinars to understand the ramifications of being lax on security.

Hypothetically, if I had some sort of wireless capable device, like a laptop, that would tell me if there were other wireless systems nearby?

You can buy a wireless reciever for your Xbox 360 and if there are any unsecure networks you would find them. I 'borrowed' internet and played my ps3 on it before actually getting my own service. Sometimes it wasnt available though or it would lag out a lot.

I have Qwest DSL and I think it is $26.99 per month with MSN as the internet provider. I'm runnin 1.5 gig at this time and can go to 5 gig service for another ten bucks per month. I heard that I can up it to 3 gig service for another five bucks per month also and I think this plan is new. They also don't raise the price on you after you have been with them for a while. I have been paying the same price for abour eight years.