• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Outboard Manufacturer Poll

marine_man

I am so surprised that Mercury is getting as many votes. Obviously these people are deaf, because if you own a Mercury long enough, you will go deaf. And I currently own a 115 Mercury 4 stroke that came with the boat that I bought. Yamaha 4 strokes purr so smooth and are so quiet that you seriously don't even know that they are running. Anyone want to trade there Yamaha 115 4 stroke for my 3 year old Mercury?

Please,

Nels

Well the question was which motor not which four stroke. I have an Optimax and love it. I am not deaf, and the sound they make is not the only decision criteria people (other than yourself perhaps) use to base there decision on.

I did a quick search and found a little. The info has been compiled because of a federal commerece case of Japan motor dumping brought up by Brunswick. Regreatably all of the juicy details were scrubbed but it did show that ~200k outboards were sold in 2003 at an average cost of 4k. I didn't realize that yamaha and mercury where in a partnership until 2006.

Just a little bit of worthless trivia for you.

Originally Posted By: NELS-BELLS
I am so surprised that Mercury is getting as many votes. Obviously these people are deaf, because if you own a Mercury long enough, you will go deaf. And I currently own a 115 Mercury 4 stroke that came with the boat that I bought. Yamaha 4 strokes purr so smooth and are so quiet that you seriously don't even know that they are running. Anyone want to trade there Yamaha 115 4 stroke for my 3 year old Mercury?

Please,

Nels

Well the question was which motor not which four stroke. I have an Optimax and love it. I am not deaf, and the sound they make is not the only decision criteria people (other than yourself perhaps) use to base there decision on.

I only mentioned 4 strokes because they are quieter than 2 strokes.

Why did you choose to buy a Mercury?

I think the only reason a person would buy a Mercury over any Japanese motor is because they are loyal to American made (nothing wrong with that), or the Mercury cost less, or the other motors didn't match the color of their boat, or finally because they have a Brunswick boat and that is the way it came.

Nels

Please,

Nels

Not to pop a bubble, but I believe your motor was made by Yamaha.

Originally Posted By: PierBridge
I'll answer both questions!

Favorite Outboard Manufacturer:.... is Mercury of course based on 50 years of great engines and customer service.

Now the poll question. Which Outboard motor would I buy?

I'd get a Yamaha 75 or 90hp tiller.

06tiller14b7053.jpg

I have this handle on my Yam 150 tiller with a Mertins hydraulic system and I couldn't be more happy. 150 ponies of 4 stroke smoothness that I can steer with one finger.

The Variable Trolling Switch is the ticket!

Originally Posted By: NELS-BELLS

Please,

Nels

Can't be. Well maybe the spark plugs are Yamaha. My Mercury is an 06, maybe an 05, but I'm going to research it. How could I find out? Is there something on the motor that would tell me?

My brother-in-law has a 5 year old 115 Yamaha 4 stroke and there is a night and day difference between the two. His has a smaller cowling and much much quieter.

I have not had any problems with my Mercury yet, but if someone said I could pick any brand motor for free...I would pick a Yamaha, my second pick would be a Honda.

little story bout being quiete

a guy trolling by me asked me if i had jumpers i said sure

we hooked em up i said go ahead start it

he said its running lol lol

it was a honda or yamaha not sure

i'guess i've never heard a really bad word about either one

but have heard alot bout mercury that wasnt real good

i have a e-tec on mine it was on the boat but i'have no complaints its 150 on a 20ft glass boat and planes that boat right now lots of power it will do 44 in the the right conditions but i'm ok with that the other thing i like i can troll on flat water with pullin cranks foward bout 2.5

not much of a chop can back troll if you want

Originally Posted By: fishorgolf
Originally Posted By: PierBridge
I'll answer both questions!

Favorite Outboard Manufacturer:.... is Mercury of course based on 50 years of great engines and customer service.

Now the poll question. Which Outboard motor would I buy?

I'd get a Yamaha 75 or 90hp tiller.

06tiller14b7053.jpg

I have this handle on my Yam 150 tiller with a Mertins hydraulic system and I couldn't be more happy. 150 ponies of 4 stroke smoothness that I can steer with one finger.

The Variable Trolling Switch is the ticket!

I think the VTS is only available on motors up to 90hp. Or am I wrong?

Originally Posted By: mnfishinguy

This was correct until 2001 or 2002, then Mercury did their own thing.

marine_man

Isn't it also true that the Yamaha powerheads painted black were the 175, 200, and 225HP models? I thought that Mercury didn't have the high horsepower 4-strokes developed at the time the 4-stroke boom was going on so they contracted Yamaha for those few years until Mercury got their own models out.

If I recall, Mercury believed that they were going forward with the Opti-Max and they didn't need any stinkin' four-strokes, as they were clean burning engines and there was no need for a big four-stroke. smile Oops.