Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marine_man

Favorite Outboard Manufacturer Poll

42 posts in this topic

This time, if you were to buy a outboard for your main motor (not kicker), what brand would it be? On this poll you can only vote once.

marine_man

I repowered a Tuffy last year with a new Yamaha 60hp 4 stroke. The limited hours I have on it so far I couldn't be happier.

Very smooth, very quit, very nice. grin

My vote goes for the Evinrude E-Tec. Lower emissions than any other outboard out there, quiet as a 4-stroke, lighter weight, and 2-stoke performance.

Bob

I voted Mercury from past experiences but I currently have a Johnson 4-stroke on mine and so far so good but I've only used it for one season.

Have always had Mercurys (or Mariners) but not by choice - they are already on boats that I have bought. That being said they have been good motors with very few issues other than regualar maintenence and putting them away correctly each season. Current motor is a Mercury 40 4 stroke and after one season it has performed to expectations. Paul

I was a Mercury guy until I bought my new boat this year with a Yamaha 75hp 4-stroke. For now I'm sold on the Yamaha. Very quiet and plenty of power for me.

I have had the Merc 150 on mine since 94, never miss's a beat only thing I had to replace was the low speed/idle fuel pump $80.00. It has lost a few MPH, but 62 is still plenty fast (gps) and witnessed by many. Although on my duck boat I do have a 40 Johnny itis sweet also

i had a 60 evinrude for bout 18ys never had a problem with it then a cydlinder went rebuilt it another 3 yrs great motor

I now have a 150 e-tec on a 20ft glass boat lots of power

44 is as fast as it goes but i can live with it plans that boat out in secounds

I troll with forward on flat water at about 2.5 great for crank baits not much of a chop i can back troll with it if i want

being a tiller guy for 20 yrs and that precise control its a little different with a wheel but rigging it for tiller precision

i also just like the sound of the motor when i start it it just purrrrrrs not as quite as the honda and yamies but fairly quite

i also have a ski-doo 600 the purrs so i'm kinda bombardier kinda guy

I don't have a lot of experience with the newer engines but my Suzuki 70 tiller is about as dependable as one can get. Simply amazing - it just goes and goes and goes...

It's great that we have so many good choices for engines. Long gone are the days where you would just cringe at some of the unreliable junk powering our boats. These are the good old days...

I'll answer both questions!

Favorite Outboard Manufacturer:.... is Mercury of course based on 50 years of great engines and customer service.

Now the poll question. Which Outboard motor would I buy?

I'd get a Yamaha 75 or 90hp tiller.

06tiller14b7053.jpg

Lot of quality to choose from these days. Proud owner of a Suzuki DF 140. No regrets. Easy on fuel, quiet, reliable, less $$.

i am a complete one-who-thinks-I-am-silly when it comes to mechanical issues and i my 8 year old honda 4 stroke has never- ever failed. gets a spring tune and thats it.

I'll answer both questions!

Favorite Outboard Manufacturer:.... is Mercury of course based on 50 years of great engines and customer service.

Now the poll question. Which Outboard motor would I buy?

I'd get a Yamaha 75 or 90hp tiller.

06tiller14b7053.jpg

I have this handle on my Yam 150 tiller with a Mertins hydraulic system and I couldn't be more happy. 150 ponies of 4 stroke smoothness that I can steer with one finger.

My vote went to Yamaha over Honda, by the flip of a coin. I think you could also catorigize this question by HP size.

I am so surprised that Mercury is getting as many votes. Obviously these people are deaf, because if you own a Mercury long enough, you will go deaf. And I currently own a 115 Mercury 4 stroke that came with the boat that I bought. Yamaha 4 strokes purr so smooth and are so quiet that you seriously don't even know that they are running. Anyone want to trade there Yamaha 115 4 stroke for my 3 year old Mercury?

Please,

Nels

Yamahammer 150 4 stroke for me too! I'll never have anything else again.

Had 2 stroke mercs before this, they were great too, but you just can't beat the quiet reliability of a 4 stroke!