• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

line

letsgosioux93

I have been using Tuff line for a number of years in the 80 and 100lb test. I tried some of the 80lb ultra cast invisabraid on one rod last season and I really liked it. It cast real well and I had no issues with how it handled overall.

I would never recommend Power pro to anyone, I had way to many problems with it, when I did use it.

"Ace"

Ace guide service.

"Ace"

Quote:
65-80 Cortland Masterbraid.

Ditto.

I've tested many and the winner for me is the Cortland Masterbraid. Packs the spool and holds less water than any other. Sufix is 2nd and Power Pro is a distant 3rd. I'm fine with the Power pro in the 30lb/8 dia for the bass reels based on price and availibility, but the Cortland is going on all the muskie reels this Spring.

Chris

I started using Tuff line and have never had any issues with it, so I never changed. 80lb. and 100lb get my vote. Very rarely I use 65lb. for burning small bucktails. I personally would never go lower than 65 lb.

What kind of reel do you use??

I have a Abu Record and I could barely get enough of the 65 lb. on there as it was.

Are you putting backing on your reels? I spool a bunch of 20 lb. mono for backing before I put on the braided line.

I run the big game Abu 7000s and have learned to love the shimano curado 300s. I might invest in a calcutta this year, we'll see.

I've got Tuffline 80lb coated and cortland masterbraid 80lb coated and love them both. The coating wears off quickly as much as I fish, but it's still good line. I've had no twisting issues with either, use the tuffline in 65lb as well and 40 I think for a smaller setup.

Usually I just go talk to Pat at thorne and put on what he recommends, never let me down yet. This reminds me, i should go turn my line around for the season...

Quote:
Usually I just go talk to Pat at thorne and put on what he recommends, never let me down yet.

best advice yet. see Pat, get great advice, go with confidence....

i use stren super braid, as i metioned before, mainly because i fish around sand/gravel and rocks. some timber too. other lines (i ''think'' i've used them all) always seemed to fray faster getting dragged through the sand/gravel and other junk.

i usually set up near the tip of a bar or point/island and cast over the top from deep water over shallow and into deep. i bring the lure back through the shallow area on top and back into the deep i'm in, if that makes sense. when a muskie/pike hits the lure the line is sometimes in the deep water (or runs away to deep through shallow) on the other side and as the fish dives the angle drags the line through the sand/gravel on top of the point. any issues with line for me are caused by this one thing. stren super braid so far holds up the best againt fraying at the dragged areas. none so far last like id like, but i'll settle for what i'm getting. smile

anyone ever have any twisting issues with Courtland Masterbraid?

I did mention that specifically in a post earlier this year. Then I realized how good a true ball bearing swivel is and now I have no issues.

On my main muskie rod I have 80lb cortland masterbraid which I used all fall and really liked. Previously I had used 2 other top names on my bass sticks which were both good lines, but tried out 30lb masterbraid on my bass slop rod this year and liked it much better as far as durability, and not binding in the spool as much, and then decided to buy it for my heavier muskie rod.

With "small" lures I throw a heavier bass rod and 30 or 40lb braid works great. One guy I know caught a muskie pushing 50 inches on a MH spinning rod with 30lb rapala braid. Caught it on a cisco kid topper, and had the fish beat in like 2 or 3 minutes and that was it. You don't have to go mad heavy, just need relatively balanced equipment.

Quote:
I did mention that specifically in a post earlier this year. Then I realized how good a true ball bearing swivel is and now I have no issues.

i remember that. glad it solved your issue. see, living proof right there. have a problem FM is there for ya.

interesting note... to me anyway. hear tell Thorne Brothers is coming out with a dual ball bearing swivel on all their in-house leaders. both ends of the single (#4 i think) swivel ride on bearings instead of one side. now that is a true ball bearing swivel. it should solve the issues of failure due to the extra/excessive amount of force from hard pulling spinners. without needing a huge swivel. sounds intriguing. now if i can buy just a few swivels.... smile

hear tell Thorne Brothers is coming out with a dual ball bearing swivel on all their in-house leaders. both ends of the single (#4 i think) swivel ride on bearings instead of one side. now that is a true ball bearing swivel. it should solve the issues of failure due to the extra/excessive amount of force from hard pulling spinners. without needing a huge swivel. sounds intriguing. now if i can buy just a few swivels.... smile

I can concur this, they showed them off at the north metro meeting the other night, they've been WELL tested and are a premier piece. Too bad they're only available on their leaders, not separately!